The Student Room Group

Transfer into Medicine from another course

Hi all

So I don't have high hopes for results day... I have no idea how it will play out but it deffo aint AAA!

However I have been researching how to get into medicine through other ways as I really want to do it. Looked at doing it internationally, looked at graduate entry, and a lot more.

But after some more research I came across a few universities that offer students the option to transfer from a biomedical science course into the second year of their medicine undergrad course! I find this to be a great thing because I don't think I'll be able to afford GEM.

Has anyone on here been successful in transferring? I read something like theres only 7 places per year, and it's highly competitive. But I really wanna know if it's worth a shot. Can I transfer in from biochem instead of biomed? I find that a little more appealing personally and think it's a bit easier to find in clearing. Do I have to do the UKCAT now?

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks all! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Rhink
Hi all

So I don't have high hopes for results day... I have no idea how it will play out but it deffo aint AAA!

However I have been researching how to get into medicine through other ways as I really want to do it. Looked at doing it internationally, looked at graduate entry, and a lot more.

But after some more research I came across a few universities that offer students the option to transfer from a biomedical science course into the second year of their medicine undergrad course! I find this to be a great thing because I don't think I'll be able to afford GEM.

Has anyone on here been successful in transferring? I read something like theres only 7 places per year, and it's highly competitive. But I really wanna know if it's worth a shot. Can I transfer in from biochem instead of biomed? I find that a little more appealing personally and think it's a bit easier to find in clearing. Do I have to do the UKCAT now?

Thoughts? Advice?

Its more competitive at graduate level but not impossible. As far as I know, its any related science degree: human bio, medicinal chemistry, biomed, biochem, pharmacy... Just ask admissions. Other options you may want to look at will be studying outside the UK (ther entry requirements are slightly lower)I know people who have booked the ukcat for this Sep so yh get on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
You would usually do 1 year of biomed and then there would be a option at the end of the year to transfer into it.

Original post by Rhink
Hi all

Thoughts? Advice?

Original post by Rhink
Hi all

Thoughts? Advice?

You can only do this via courses that specifically offer the transfer option. There really aren't that many, and I don't know if there are any biochem degrees.

My advice would be only go for this option if you would actually be happy doing the degree for 3 years if the transfer option doesn't work out. And make sure you research the transfer requirements properly. I know some still require high grades at a-level, a minimum 70% average in first year and successful interview.
Original post by A47
Its more competitive at graduate level but not impossible. As far as I know, its any related science degree: human bio, medicinal chemistry, biomed, biochem, pharmacy... Just ask admissions. Other options you may want to look at will be studying outside the UK (ther entry requirements are slightly lower)I know people who have booked the ukcat for this Sep so yh get on it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They only need to take the UKCAT this year if they are applying to medicine this year.

And it isn't any science related degree. Only a handful of degree courses offer transfers to a linked medicine course (i.e. Bradford offers transfers to Leeds).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending