The Student Room Group

Oh my gosh! I got ripped off by River Island!!

Here's the deal.

I bought a skirt from their store about 2 weeks ago for £40, admittedly it was a bit of a hasty purchase and I was in a hurry so I just picked up my size and took it to the till. I got it home, tried it on and it was a bit on the big side.. didn't look as nice as it did in the shop and didn't go with the top I was planning to wear it with..

Anyway..

Today I decide to return it to the shop, and lo and behold, receipt is nowhere to be found! Not in the carrier bag, not in my purse.. So I figure I'll probably have to get a credit note or something.

So.. Get to the counter, explain everything.. She scans it in to the till and for whatever reason it comes up as £12!! :eek: :eek:
Obviously their mistake, label clearly says £39.99. They won't have it. The tell me to either take the £12 credit note or £12 worth of exhange or nothing at all. I kindly explain that the same items are still on their racks in the shop for £40 and there was no way I could have paid £12 for it.. It's clearly something wrong their end.

Still they don't have it. I speak to the manager to rambles something about company policy, if it scans in at £12 then that's all I'm going to get back.

Absolutely furious and in god knows what state of mind i take their bastard £12 and walk home very upset indeed!!! Now I'm kicking myself.

Did I do the right thing? Was I in the wrong? God I'm so angry right now :frown: :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's appalling. You should consider writing to their customer services department or something.
Agrre with Cage. You should definitelty complain about that! You should probably have refused to return it and gone to another shop, but complain to them.
Reply 3
That's so annoying! I can see why they'd only give you £12 if it had gone down in the sale but if there were other skirts still on sale for the original price than you should've got this back in a credit note or an exchange if you didn't have the receipt.
I never even think of taking something back if I don't have a reciept.

But, yea that is outrageous. Really bad. I wouldn't have been happy. ESpecially if the same skirt was there with the correct price on.
Write to them, head office/customer service.

Hopefully they will sort it out, and refund you/give you some vouchers!

Worth a try. That service is outrageous.
Reply 6
just go home and find the receipt.

but honestly shops dont have to accept returns unless the item is at fault.

i could rant about consumerist society but i won't
Reply 7
Ne4er Gi4e Them Any Sales !!!!!!!!
You should've tried another store...
find the reciept if you can- otherwise call up customer service.

xhope it goes well
It's the only store anywhere nearby (It's only jusr recently opened too) I thought it would be my best bet seeing as I bought it there. Like i said, In retrospect I should have refused but I just wanted to get the hell out of there before I totally lost my rag and made an even bigger fool of myself.

Seems as though they are only too happy to take your money from you, not so eager to return it. Bastards.
I found the head office customer service line and it's dead :s-smilie:

any ideas?

(Thanks guys, I really appreciate it)
Reply 12
Silkiest
I found the head office customer service line and it's dead :s-smilie:

any ideas?

(Thanks guys, I really appreciate it)

Maybe it closed at 5pm? You could try a legal service like Which? Legal service - free to subscribers I think.
You could try going back and explaining again but this time in a raised angry voice , the SA might give you the full refund just to get rid of you before the other customers notice? I don't know anything about refunds though...
That's appalling, but I doubt there is much you can do now you've actually returned the skirt.
Reply 15
I agree with Sparkle, returning it was probably a big mistake. Now essentially the whole transaction is over - you've agreed to take a £12 credit note, case closed etc etc.

It seems like a very strange situation, I'd definitely keep trying to get hold of Head Office if you can.
Reply 16
River Island are notorious crooks. The amount of times something like this happens with them is appalling. You really shouldn't have taken the £12 credit note, but there's no reason to let it go now. Keep causing a fuss; it's your right as a customer.
write to the customer service person address on their site is

River Island clothing co ltd
Chelsea house
westgate
London
W5 1DR

or email [email protected]
Reply 18
See if you can find the original receipt, keep the receipt they gave you for the £12 refund, then go back in and complain. Alternatively you could always go back in, take your refund receipt, grab one of the skirts and ask to speak to the Manager- just say you were given £12 instead of the £40 like you should have been. Worth a try I guess!
That's the policy at my job. Stuff goes down in price all the time, and without a receipt we can only exchange the goods at the current selling price. Without proof of purchase, the store can't know if you paid the reduced price or full. It wasn't a mistake by the shop staff, but the system updating a reduced price. sucks, but there isn't much that can't be done if you're lost the receipt. That they even gave you money back at all is more than they're legally obliged to. Writing to head office will only get you told the policy parrot-fashion. TBH I'm suprised that so many people are suggesting it when River Island have followed policy that many, many high street shops have to the letter.

I'm really pants at keeping receipts. I really should given that I know many shops have a similar policy to that.

EDIT: Just reread and noticed that they weren't in the sale. How odd. Scrap what I said and complain, heh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending