Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I guess the question should say the best way to tell management you want to resign without sounding whiny. I want to resign from my job. I have a probationary review coming up soon. It is my first job.

I'm not sure the best way to really bring about I want to resign but I made them aware that it's possible I can bring it up in the probationary review.

I am sure they will ask why I would like to resign. The main reason why I really cannot no longer work there is because I can not stand management. They are incredibly micro-managing and I almost get the sense they're out to fire me (I have noticed) I really don't know if this is appropriate to bring up during the probationary review.

The other reasons are pressure of exams, not fitting in the store (basically not being the stereotypical employee), not believing in the ethos behind the company, mental health problems and not staff not taking into account my learning difficulties.

I feel I made enough money to suffice until university starts and I really feel someone else can take my place. I also feel as though even if they were to extend my probationary period they will probably fire me as I am not one of their favourites.

ReputationRep:
    In order to resign you need to write them a letter basically stating "As per my contract I hereby give you (x days / weeks / notice) pending my resignation." It is generally polite to wish them the best for the future yada yada yada.

Whatever you do though, do not make your feelings about management known and do go out with a good grace. In terms of reasons, you could cite other opportunities, another job, difficult commute - basically anything they can't do anything about. The reason not to burn your bridges is that you never know when you might need to call in a favour, reference, or bump into these individuals again.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Take a **** on your boss' desk and stick an adorable little sign in on a cocktail stick in it saying "toodles".

ReputationRep:
    I literally just handed in my resignation letter and thought my manager was gonna go crazy and ask loads of questions but it was fine. I left for the same reason as you but told a white lie and said I've been offered a job in a role that would be helpful for uni applications etc. It's not good to lie of course but sometimes to save yourself you have to just do it! Be sure to write a letter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    write a letter, you can find a standard template online, make sure you work your notice period... do NOT bad mouth the company/management etc, just say something diplomatic e.g. need to focus on my studies as you may want a reference in the future

I would consider staying though, extra money for uni would be helpful and to be honest bad management is present in a lot of places you just need to get on with it

ReputationRep:
    * I would consider staying though, extra money for uni would be helpful and to be honest bad management is present in a lot of places you just need to get on with it[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for answering.*

I was actually considering to stay as well which is why I agreed to the probationary review. I mean in all honesty I do love my job, the people (apart from management) and despite everything I do actually think I am good at it. However I don't want to stay if I am going to end up getting fired (mainly because of the repercussions it will have on my mental health.)

From all the replies I gathered that what I am upset by (the micro-managing, consistent criticism and sloppiness of the company) I can't actually even express it. Do you think it would be appropriate to bring these up in the review or is it a no go? I mean what would you do in my situation?*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afsana_ac)
    Do you think it would be appropriate to bring these up in the review or is it a no go? I mean what would you do in my situation?*
    I think you shouldn't mention it if you wish to retain employment at this company.

ReputationRep:
    bet if the management found your TSR account and this thread they'll have the stereotypical "mental health is for the weak" attitude if you desperately need the money then hand in at least a month's notice and spend your free time preparing for job interviews

ReputationRep:
    You have things you want to do to prepare for university- just say that and serve your notice quietly.

ReputationRep:
    Just write a letter as others have said and simply say that you want to concentrate on your studies. Be polite, you want to have a good reference for a future job

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.