Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Thread title says it all really, and I was wondering if anyone else here feels the same way about going on buses. I used to find it easy to get bus transport to places, but now it is quite literally a last resort option for me because I hate them that much. I used to be fine during high school, I could get them to travel to the next town to meet with friends or go shopping, but as I've got older I just genuinely don't feel comfortable on them. Especially when I'm on my own, I feel like I'm being watched by people around me. I feel uncomfortable too when I get on the bus, pay, and I can see the bus driver looking me up and down like he's checking me out or something? It feels disgusting. I get told I should get used to it, but it makes me feel like my value is based on my looks rather than the fact that I don't want any of this older attention. And if anyone here comments that I'm overreacting, I'd rather you not say anything at all. So is it just me that feels like this, or does anyone else here feel similar? I'd like to know all your thoughts and whether you also dislike getting the bus too, just so I don't feel alone in this situation. Getting the bus too tomorrow, first time I've got to make a changeover. Well excited - not

ReputationRep:
    I'm strangely a lot more comfortable on them or in public when with my girlfriend, not sure why, I just get that extra confidence boost - possibly because I'm happier?

But I think a majority of public transport is similar, where it's quiet and people are just looking around, and because we're all anti social and self conscious we worry they're judging us or feel watched, when half the time they probably just in their own world.

Perfectly fine OP, just need to worry less.

ReputationRep:
    In a majority of cases, I doubt they're checking you out; it's far more likely that they're doing a mental risk assessment, ie; does this person look dangerous? Do they have any obvious health ailments that I should be aware of and therefore prepare accordingly for? Etc.

To immediately assume that all they're doing is checking you out is fairly arrogant, dude. Chill out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    In a majority of cases, I doubt they're checking you out; it's far more likely that they're doing a mental risk assessment, ie; does this person look dangerous? Do they have any obvious health ailments that I should be aware of and therefore prepare accordingly for? Etc.

To immediately assume that all they're doing is checking you out is fairly arrogant, dude. Chill out.
    I know it's arrogant to even think it is. It's just very off putting being a 5"4 teen girl being surrounded by people 30-40 years older than yourself. I don't mind when parents do it, because they're obviously looking out for their children's welfare. Its the older, lone people that terrify me because if something were to happen, I wouldn't be big enough or strong enough to ward them off.

(Original post by Lucarious30)
    I'm strangely a lot more comfortable on them or in public when with my girlfriend, not sure why, I just get that extra confidence boost - possibly because I'm happier?

But I think a majority of public transport is similar, where it's quiet and people are just looking around, and because we're all anti social and self conscious we worry they're judging us or feel watched, when half the time they probably just in their own world.

Perfectly fine OP, just need to worry less.
    Thanks mate. I felt the same when I was walking out with a guy I liked once. Think its the happiness that makes you feel euphoric and therefore untouchable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.