Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi just received my results and I achieved a 2.2 for my first year, being 4% off a 2.1. I have a placement year in my 3rd year of my course and apparently when applying for placements, they will look at my first year results. Is this true or do they just want a prediction for my final year grade?

Also, as I was 4% off a 2.1, do you think its possible for me to pull myself up to a 2.1 at least? Obviously I'd love a first but I'm doubting that will happen now.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbell1997)
    Hi just received my results and I achieved a 2.2 for my first year, being 4% off a 2.1. I have a placement year in my 3rd year of my course and apparently when applying for placements, they will look at my first year results. Is this true or do they just want a prediction for my final year grade?

Also, as I was 4% off a 2.1, do you think its possible for me to pull myself up to a 2.1 at least? Obviously I'd love a first but I'm doubting that will happen now.Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Regarding placements I have no idea unfortunately.

But, on the point of getting a 2.2 in your first year: I got a 2.2 in my first year (I studied Maths at Warwick). I took it as a serious reality check because, in actual truth, I hadn't even slacked off in first year - I had done work but I hadn't done enough.

After that I gradually improved; I got a mid 2.1 in my second year and then managed to get a first class in my final year - this is very much against the trend too. Overall, then, I got a high 2.1 which was a massive achievement for me considering the 2.2 in first year. The point is, it's totally possible to improve considerably provided you are conscious of what you must do to improve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbell1997)

Thanks
    It depends on the employer - when I was looking for placements, some companies asked for a full breakdown of 1st year modules, whereas others asked for predictions. You won't have your 2nd year results when you apply for placements of course, so your 1st year grade is heavily relied on.

That being said, if your application is stronger in other areas, such as extra curriculars or work experience, it shouldn't put you in much disadvantage.

It's definitely possible to pull yourself up to a 2.1. It only gets harder from now on, but you've got to dedicate yourself to your studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paraphilos)
    Regarding placements I have no idea unfortunately.

But, on the point of getting a 2.2 in your first year: I got a 2.2 in my first year (I studied Maths at Warwick). I took it as a serious reality check because, in actual truth, I hadn't even slacked off in first year - I had done work but I hadn't done enough.

After that I gradually improved; I got a mid 2.1 in my second year and then managed to get a first class in my final year - this is very much against the trend too. Overall, then, I got a high 2.1 which was a massive achievement for me considering the 2.2 in first year. The point is, it's totally possible to improve considerably provided you are conscious of what you must do to improve.
    wow thats amazing! congrats and I hope I will be able to pull my grade up to a first.

may I ask, I was the same as you in regards to first year.. i didn't slack but i think I've now realised I should work even more than I had. What did you do differently to ensure you got the best grades? Any different learning techniques or was it just revise more etc.?

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.