Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a really close friend that Ive been talking to for about 5 months now. We tell each other everything, we talk literally all day every day, and about a week ago she told me she loves me but wants to take things slow and isnt ready for a relationship yet.

She was telling me a few days ago about a guy at work she gets along with really well, says they joke around and eat lunch together. It made me feel jealous, like im being replaced. Obviously im not and its not her fault at all but i have a strong feeling like she prefers him and that he'll take her away from me and she'll end up loving him.

Irrational and everything but i dont know how to deal with this feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Have a threesome.

Should solve it.

ReputationRep:
    power through, if yu are meant to be you will be

ReputationRep:
    I personally know first hand what jealousy is like. I would say that you should sit down with her, tell her how you feel, although telling her that you are not saying she can't be friends with this guy. All you need is reassurance. You could always check this guy out a bit, maybe with a bit of Facebook stalking? In a friendly way.
    Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have a really close friend that Ive been talking to for about 5 months now. We tell each other everything, we talk literally all day every day, and about a week ago she told me she loves me but wants to take things slow and isnt ready for a relationship yet.

She was telling me a few days ago about a guy at work she gets along with really well, says they joke around and eat lunch together. It made me feel jealous, like im being replaced. Obviously im not and its not her fault at all but i have a strong feeling like she prefers him and that he'll take her away from me and she'll end up loving him.

Irrational and everything but i dont know how to deal with this feeling.
    I'd stay out of it.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how much you trust her. If she doesn't seem so emotionally invested in your relationship then it's her decision.. but honestly this is every lovers paranoia. Everyone gets jealous and to some extent it's healthy, just try not to worry too much and talk to her about how you're feeling if it gets extreme. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy is a negative emotion, much like anxiety. Negative emotions should never be fueled, never pander to them for it only gives them strength and legitimacy in your mind, never change your behaviors for jealousy and never act upon jealousy. As you grow up your friends will meet people and they will spend more time with them than they do you, its just part of life. Remember though, it doesn't degrade what you have with your friend, its a different type of bond.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.