The Student Room Group

Good resources to prep for first year of A levels?

Hi, I'm starting my first year of a levels and I am wondering if anyone has any resources for the newly reformed a levels sport, geography and psychology which I can use to prep for September?
Reply 1
For psychology you should use simply psychology.com it's a great website for the topics you will need to cover, I was also given an online textbook and a class textbook. I'm on aqa and I used a level psychology by cara flanagan (called the green hair book by teachers I think) and that has gotten me straight a/A*s in psychology. If you want any other details and stuff about psych at a level just message me and I'll more than happy to help :smile:
Original post by Zozaaaa
For psychology you should use simply psychology.com it's a great website for the topics you will need to cover, I was also given an online textbook and a class textbook. I'm on aqa and I used a level psychology by cara flanagan (called the green hair book by teachers I think) and that has gotten me straight a/A*s in psychology. If you want any other details and stuff about psych at a level just message me and I'll more than happy to help :smile:

Thankyou! I'll take a look at it! How are you finding psych? Is it as hard as everyone says?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous061299
Thankyou! I'll take a look at it! How are you finding psych? Is it as hard as everyone says?

There's no point lying and saying its all fun and easy, - yes it is hard but only if you're not prepared to work for it. Personally, I am so interested in it that I find it really easy. The hardest part is just memorising case studies and evaluations - there are lots of them! Research methods is usually the module you first start on and it's pretty simple to ease you into psychology, it's basically just advantages and disadvantages of different methods e.g interviews, sample methods it's not too bad. It is pretty boring but the fun stuff starts afterwards like mental illnesses, developmental, memory, social - it's all brilliant. I know people in my class have found it hard but do not be disheartened than the first grade you get back (in any subject) at a level. I went from getting a*'s in bio to a D. That's because A levels are hard but once you've been there for a month or so you get used to the independent study you have to do. (teachers understand you find it difficult for the first month and don't expect high grades, you're settling in still).

TL;DR I am loving psychology so much , I'd never taken it before and now it's all I want to do in life. Yes, it is hard but as long as you do the work you're set and have an interest in it then you are going to do great. Any other questions regarding sixth form/a levels / psychology feel free to private message me and I'll be more than happy to help! I've just finished my first year so I know you must be a bundle of nerves/excitement for September. Good luck!
Original post by Zozaaaa
There's no point lying and saying its all fun and easy, - yes it is hard but only if you're not prepared to work for it. Personally, I am so interested in it that I find it really easy. The hardest part is just memorising case studies and evaluations - there are lots of them! Research methods is usually the module you first start on and it's pretty simple to ease you into psychology, it's basically just advantages and disadvantages of different methods e.g interviews, sample methods it's not too bad. It is pretty boring but the fun stuff starts afterwards like mental illnesses, developmental, memory, social - it's all brilliant. I know people in my class have found it hard but do not be disheartened than the first grade you get back (in any subject) at a level. I went from getting a*'s in bio to a D. That's because A levels are hard but once you've been there for a month or so you get used to the independent study you have to do. (teachers understand you find it difficult for the first month and don't expect high grades, you're settling in still).

TL;DR I am loving psychology so much , I'd never taken it before and now it's all I want to do in life. Yes, it is hard but as long as you do the work you're set and have an interest in it then you are going to do great. Any other questions regarding sixth form/a levels / psychology feel free to private message me and I'll be more than happy to help! I've just finished my first year so I know you must be a bundle of nerves/excitement for September. Good luck!

Aww it doesn't sound too bad then! Thanks and yeah I'm pretty nervous finding it difficult to decide where to go so haven't even given the actual courses a second thought really :-/ yeah I've heard it's hard to grasp but you get there thanks for the advice :-)

Quick Reply

Latest