Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm allergic to suncream. I'm not quite sure what it is exactly that I'm allergic too but I've tried hypoallergenic and sensitive ones and I'm fine with all my beauty products so I think it must be some sort of sunblocker. I'm also fine with the suncream if I don't get exposed to the sun.

I usually just try to avoid going out in the sun too much, my skin is quite fair (freckles) so I burn fairly easily but it I never peel. I was at a music festival this weekend, it rained Friday so I was fine. On Saturday I was out in the sun all day so went pretty pink. I tried to cover up as soon as I went pink but it's impossible to stay completely out of the sun. On Sunday it was sunny again so I took an antiallergy tablet and put suncream on. This worked fine until I didn't take another on on Monday morning and since I hadn't had a chance to wash the cream off I've got a rash on my face. The sunburn is almost gone but my face is feeling pretty swollen and rough from the rash.

What exactly can I do? Sometimes it is impossible to avoid going out in the sun and I think the allergy is getting worse.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen your GP about this at all? They might be able to recommend/prescribe you something suitable for your skin, or point you in the right direction?

What sort of suncream are you using, what factor? As you say that its fine until you go in the skin, so perhaps you arent allergic to it? Its possible that it might be a heat rash/prickly heat instead of an actual allergy to the suncream?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, your GP would probably refer you to a dermatologist and all your problems would be solved

ReputationRep:
    My GP is a bit crap but I might go. Theres at least a 2 week waiting list where I live (and that's the one for people who are actually sick) so I feel a bit bad about going if I'm not dying. You don't know if the chemist would have any idea do you?
    As far as I hear being referred to a dermatoligist here is not a probably here.

It's not prickley heat since it's only on my face which was the only place I couldn't cover up. The rest of me which was too hot didn't get a rash. And I was reading about it on some sites, you can be only allergic to things when the light shines on them and suncream is one of those things.

The last one I was using was a factor 25 sensitive one. But I have tried a lot of different types.

ReputationRep:
    try E45 sun cream, it's the one GP's usually prescribe to people who are allergic, or try a factor 50+, it's seems to be the sun you actually have the problem with though, seen as you say you're fine if you don't go in the sun

ReputationRep:
    I would speak to your GP about this - even if its a two week waiting list, you'll be sorted for next summer! My sister is also allergic to some brands of suncream (and some kinds of makeup.) I think the doctor can do some kind of allergy test on you to work out what ingredient of the sun cream that you are actually allergic too. From my sister's experience I know it's an absolute pain in the ass, you have my sympathies.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll give the doctor a shot.
    Thanks everyone.

ReputationRep:
    I use stuff by Garnier Ambre Solaire that might help, as it's not a cream as such - it's an alcohol based spray. Get it in Boots.

ReputationRep:
    try allergy piz buin, its the only one i can use because i come out in rashes with others, its expensive but it really works!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.