Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have always been passionate about China; I have always wanted to become fluent in Chinese and move there to pursue my dreams of being an interpreter/translator.

During the University application process, I was heavily influenced by the opinions of my family and friends; I wanted to study Mandarin Chinese and they made remarks that I was stupid, and it was a pointless subject to study. I applied for Linguistics instead to please same said family members.

I am now in a predicament where I am going to be attending Uni, studying a subject I am not passionate about or interested in.

I know I still have time to contact the Uni and ask them to release me and go through clearing, but time is going so quickly; can anyone give me their opinions -especially if they have been in the same situation.

Thanks in advance!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kayax)
    I have always been passionate about China; I have always wanted to become fluent in Chinese and move there to pursue my dreams of being an interpreter/translator.

During the University application process, I was heavily influenced by the opinions of my family and friends; I wanted to study Mandarin Chinese and they made remarks that I was stupid, and it was a pointless subject to study. I applied for Linguistics instead to please same said family members.

I am now in a predicament where I am going to be attending Uni, studying a subject I am not passionate about or interested in.

I know I still have time to contact the Uni and ask them to release me and go through clearing, but time is going so quickly; can anyone give me their opinions -especially if they have been in the same situation.

Thanks in advance!!
    Does the university you've firmed offer a Chinese degree? Perhaps you could ask to switch subjects. If that isn't an option, then go into clearing. Luckily there seems to be quite a few Chinese degrees in clearing so if I were you, I would do some research to see which degree you prefer before you go into clearing. http://search.ucas.com/search/provid...&Page=1&flt9=1

Don't contact your university and ask to be released. Phone UCAS and tell them "I want to go into clearing", they will sort it out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.