Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My brother is starting his ODP degree this year and he's basically saying it's just the same as a nurse degree....I'm confused! I didn't even know what an ODP was until recently. Is it just a nurse in 1 area? Is the degree as demanding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wbnurse)
    My brother is starting his ODP degree this year and he's basically saying it's just the same as a nurse degree....I'm confused! I didn't even know what an ODP was until recently. Is it just a nurse in 1 area? Is the degree as demanding?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not too sure on the demands of that course in comparison to a nursing course.
    But an odp is not a nurse.
    You have theatre nurses within the theatres, each will have a different role as you have a clean nurse and a dirty nurse for example. One who works and counts the equipment used etc, and one who stays clean and sterile and works alongside the surgeon handing them what they need and maybe holding the patient or parts of them etc.
    An odp role is listed here:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...t-practitioner

However, don't let your brother think he will be a nurse.
    Nurses and midwives enter a register which they need to maintain their skills to remain on the register as a nurse or midwife.
    The odp is also registered but this is a different registration.
    Your brother won't have the same types of placements as a nurse and will be working in various types of theatres, from emergency care to maternity etc.

He will also not be able to work as a nurse as he will be an odp. Completely different.
    I suggest he reads up if he's that confused as if he wanted to do nursing he would have to complete a nursing degree.
    The NHS website may clarify things for you.
    Hope that helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.