Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been learning to drive for a few weeks now and have been driving in my own car at home. My parents are notoriously angry/hateful people toward me and my sister but "luckily" my dad takes me driving in between driving instructor lessons.

Today, he decided to yell at me whilst I was driving. I don't want to get into it, but my parents have anger issues, and being emotionally abusive to my sister and I is not an unusual thing. I had nowhere to pull over (30 mph zone, double yellow lines) and he started taking his seatbelt off and trying to open the door and slamming his hands all the windows etc.

Then it got really dangerous. As somebody was right behind me (very close), he grabbed the handbrake it pulled it up, down, up, down repeatedly. The person behind had to slow rapidly and swerve off into a side road because it became so dangerous and they were incredibly close to crashing into me. Obviously I was incredibly flustered, we'd gone from 30 down to 6 in such a short time frame. I had to pull off and park to calm down, etc, he continued to scream, until I could get back in the frame of mind to ignore him to drive home safely.

So my question is how can I come back from this? I'm feeling very, very shaky as after the incident I couldn't pull off, stalled for the first time in a while, etc, I felt very agitated. I've been building up to going on more major roads and now I feel like I'm terrified of even approaching them after this. I feel like an awful driver as he kept screaming that even though he was the one that nearly caused the crash.

How do I build my confidence back up?! I feel like I've been dragged back 10 steps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Hi,
    I've been learning to drive for a few weeks now and have been driving in my own car at home. My parents are notoriously angry/hateful people toward me and my sister but "luckily" my dad takes me driving in between driving instructor lessons.

Today, he decided to yell at me whilst I was driving. I don't want to get into it, but my parents have anger issues, and being emotionally abusive to my sister and I is not an unusual thing. I had nowhere to pull over (30 mph zone, double yellow lines) and he started taking his seatbelt off and trying to open the door and slamming his hands all the windows etc.

Then it got really dangerous. As somebody was right behind me (very close), he grabbed the handbrake it pulled it up, down, up, down repeatedly. The person behind had to slow rapidly and swerve off into a side road because it became so dangerous and they were incredibly close to crashing into me. Obviously I was incredibly flustered, we'd gone from 30 down to 6 in such a short time frame. I had to pull off and park to calm down, etc, he continued to scream, until I could get back in the frame of mind to ignore him to drive home safely.

So my question is how can I come back from this? I'm feeling very, very shaky as after the incident I couldn't pull off, stalled for the first time in a while, etc, I felt very agitated. I've been building up to going on more major roads and now I feel like I'm terrified of even approaching them after this. I feel like an awful driver as he kept screaming that even though he was the one that nearly caused the crash.

How do I build my confidence back up?! I feel like I've been dragged back 10 steps!
    Honestly, I'd refuse to drive with him again. He put both of you in danger and what he did was entirely irresponsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    Honestly, I'd refuse to drive with him again. He put both of you in danger and what he did was entirely irresponsible.
    I'm not going to be driving with him again - I obviously know he is irrational/difficult, but I never really thought about him acting like this in the car. I'm just trying to remember it was him that nearly caused an accident, and that I'm not an awful driver xD

ReputationRep:
    that sounds like quite a serious issue if he really was doing those things. just tell him straight up that he is too irresponsible and dangerous to be in a car with, simple as that really. hopefully you can find someone else to accompany you whilst driving

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.