The Student Room Group

Postgraduate degree in Politics?

I'm currently studying History BA at Huddersfield University, currently in line to get a 2:1 after my second year results. I don't think I want to do History if I do a postgraduate degree, but I would quite like to do Politics. A lot of my optional courses have been politically based and my dissertation is on a political topic. Does anyone know if I would be allowed to move to Politics from History? I've looked online and some universities require a "2:1 in a related discipline" which I assume means either a pure or joint Politics BA, but I've seen some say 2:1 in any discipline.

Furthermore, I'm looking at what universities might accept me. I want to stay in Huddersfield after university finishes, as my girlfriend lives here and I love the area. On my list now is: Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds. Does anyone know of any other universities in the area that do Politics MA? What are my chances of getting into a Russell Group university, coming from a former polytechnic?

Final point: how do you postgrads fund your study? All the courses I've seen are £5k–8k, which I'd be only able to afford if I got the maximum loan! But with rent as well and living costs, I wouldn't be able to live just off the postgraduate loan. How do you manage working a job and also putting your all into your studies?
I'm in Scotland so I can't help much with location and I suppose some circumstances are different, so bear that in mind. With regards doing a Masters in Politics after an Undergraduate in History, I'd say there'd be no issues if you have the prerequisite 2:1 required. History degrees at undergrad are intensely political anyway, and most of the skills you're learning are easily transferable to a lot of the other Humanities. A lot of what is required at Masters level isn't necessarily previous knowledge of content, but application of skills. If your interest is great enough and you're able to express that well in a personal statement, along with showing how the content of your undergrad degree relates to what you want to study at postgrad, you shouldn't have any issues. Think about doing a dissertation which analyses historical political systems in some way, or something like that. I was accepted onto a postgrad in Medieval studies after doing my undergrad in Sociology and Politics. Circumstances changed and I ended up doing a 2nd undergrad in History instead, and am only now going onto do my Medieval masters. Either way, it can be done!

As for funding, it's different for everyone, and unfortunately it's not easy in Arts & Humanities. I worked full-time for the last 7 years, put myself through the 2nd undergrad and saved as much as possible while living at home. There's no loans in Scotland for my area of study at PG level, either. I'd suggest you think about taking a year or two off to work and get earning, then see where you are. But if it's something you want to go straight into...maybe do your Masters part-time across 2 years instead of 1? Split your costs and take a part-time job to make things easier. A break between UG and PG could be healthy anyway! Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by harnagarna
I'm in Scotland so I can't help much with location and I suppose some circumstances are different, so bear that in mind. With regards doing a Masters in Politics after an Undergraduate in History, I'd say there'd be no issues if you have the prerequisite 2:1 required. History degrees at undergrad are intensely political anyway, and most of the skills you're learning are easily transferable to a lot of the other Humanities. A lot of what is required at Masters level isn't necessarily previous knowledge of content, but application of skills. If your interest is great enough and you're able to express that well in a personal statement, along with showing how the content of your undergrad degree relates to what you want to study at postgrad, you shouldn't have any issues. Think about doing a dissertation which analyses historical political systems in some way, or something like that. I was accepted onto a postgrad in Medieval studies after doing my undergrad in Sociology and Politics. Circumstances changed and I ended up doing a 2nd undergrad in History instead, and am only now going onto do my Medieval masters. Either way, it can be done!

As for funding, it's different for everyone, and unfortunately it's not easy in Arts & Humanities. I worked full-time for the last 7 years, put myself through the 2nd undergrad and saved as much as possible while living at home. There's no loans in Scotland for my area of study at PG level, either. I'd suggest you think about taking a year or two off to work and get earning, then see where you are. But if it's something you want to go straight into...maybe do your Masters part-time across 2 years instead of 1? Split your costs and take a part-time job to make things easier. A break between UG and PG could be healthy anyway! Hope that helps. :smile:

Thanks for the reply! That's really useful to know, I thought it would be okay to move from History to Politics especially considering I have relevant experience (I did a summer internship with my local MP) and providing I get a 2:1, I hope I'll be okay. Leeds and Sheffield have stated they want a relevant degree, with Sheffield saying it needs to be in social science.

I'm thinking about a break possibly, I will need to find a job for next year then but I have quite extensive experience in retail so even if it's just living and saving up I'm sure it can be done. I'm not totally sure if I'm ready to move straight into a career or into postgrad study, I'm thinking the latter but I'll see how I feel in a few months time, I just wanted to send some feelers out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending