Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible for media to not be politically biased? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is it possible for media to not have political biases?
    Yes.
    25.00%
    No.
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    I believe it is but a lot of people seem to think it's not.

Personally, I think it's a disgrace that media is still allowed to have these biases in the modern world.

ReputationRep:
    As long as media is ran by humans then it will have bias. This may be unconscious bias but they are still there. The BBC have to aim to be as unbiased as possible because its ran by public money and I think it does an excellent job. It even allows people to come on its shows and claim it's biased.

I don't think media should not be allowed to have bias for many many reasons. Least one I believe in freedom of speech. secondly the age of digital media it would be nigh on impossible to police it.

There are problems when there is too much power held by one or a few people with very similar views but I'm not sure what we do about that.

ReputationRep:
    I would say define bias to start with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I would say define bias to start with.
    Good point. Here's the Google comes up with and that's what I'll go with:

biasˈbʌɪəs/nounnoun: bias; plural noun: biases
    1. 1. inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    Good point. Here's the Google comes up with and that's what I'll go with:

biasˈbʌɪəs/nounnoun: bias; plural noun: biases
    1. 1. inclination or prejudice for or against one person or group, especially in a way considered to be unfair.
    So under that definition, is one biased if one appears to promote one person or group over another? And where do you draw the line between reporting on a particular group or person because they are media savvy and not reporting on someone because they are deemed to be insignificant by the news organisations editor?

I think this is often why the BBC is accused of being biased. Because they don't report something a particular individual or group deem to be important. Alas, the accusers of bias do not seem to understand that editorial decisions have to be made. Not every story will get coverage as the amount of space / effort is finite.

ReputationRep:
    If they report honestly they would have a liberal bias I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    If they report honestly they would have a liberal bias I suppose.
    The irony of using bias to make a joke about bias.

(Original post by ByEeek)
    So under that definition, is one biased if one appears to promote one person or group over another? And where do you draw the line between reporting on a particular group or person because they are media savvy and not reporting on someone because they are deemed to be insignificant by the news organisations editor?

I think this is often why the BBC is accused of being biased. Because they don't report something a particular individual or group deem to be important. Alas, the accusers of bias do not seem to understand that editorial decisions have to be made. Not every story will get coverage as the amount of space / effort is finite.

Agreed, though I'm not accusing the BBC of bias; generally they're very good at that.

But you have got other media, such as the Guardian and the Daily Mail which are openly bias and I'm just saying should something that tells the news be like that?

They could easily tell the news with the facts that make it up but they decide to put their spin on it to turn it to their agenda.

As a result, if I support the Mail's point of view I'm not going to read the Guardian because the Guardian is just going to insult my views and vice versa.

All I'm saying is, is there any need for this?

News TV channels are, generally, very good when it comes to balancing things out, it's other forms of media that aren't so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)
    I believe it is but a lot of people seem to think it's not.

Personally, I think it's a disgrace that media is still allowed to have these biases in the modern world.
    Yes but then you can't write opinion pieces and only facts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. Selection and ordering of facts is always subjective.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.