Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It only now hit me that I'll be moving away from everyone I know and love, and it makes me a little upset right now. I know it's normal to feel homesick at first, but how did you guys cope with homesickness.

Edit: Just realised that this was on the wrong topic of forums
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by PotatoChip)
    It only now hit me that I'll be moving away from everyone I know and love, and it makes me a little upset right now. I know it's normal to feel homesick at first, but how did you guys cope with homesickness.

Hello

It's completely normal to start worrying about moving away from home - it's understandable and it does get to a point where the realisation does hit you and you are left a bit struck that you are about to become independent.

Not to worry! You aren't alone!
    It's important to note that everybody deals with it in different ways. Some people find it easy to move away, others don't. Those who think they'll be fine, end up not being okay and vice versa. It's completely varied by person!

In my experience, I wasn't too bad. Whilst living at home before university, I'd got to a point where I felt like I was ready to move out and start being independent - I just felt that I'd got to the age where it was right too. As soon as my family had left on moving in day - the realisation hit me then and I didn't know how to feel. I tried to lock myself away on the first night of Freshers but luckily my flat mates didn't allow me to do that! After that I was okay - I adjusted to the life style and it suited me well - sure, there were the odd bad days where I missed home but that's normal. Luckily I had a car at university with me and could travel home on the odd weekend which made things a lot easier for me!

You'll have a great time - try not to fret! Home is never too far away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustGeorgeJ)
    Hello

It's completely normal to start worrying about moving away from home - it's understandable and it does get to a point where the realisation does hit you and you are left a bit struck that you are about to become independent.

Not to worry! You aren't alone!
    It's important to note that everybody deals with it in different ways. Some people find it easy to move away, others don't. Those who think they'll be fine, end up not being okay and vice versa. It's completely varied by person!

In my experience, I wasn't too bad. Whilst living at home before university, I'd got to a point where I felt like I was ready to move out and start being independent - I just felt that I'd got to the age where it was right too. As soon as my family had left on moving in day - the realisation hit me then and I didn't know how to feel. I tried to lock myself away on the first night of Freshers but luckily my flat mates didn't allow me to do that! After that I was okay - I adjusted to the life style and it suited me well - sure, there were the odd bad days where I missed home but that's normal. Luckily I had a car at university with me and could travel home on the odd weekend which made things a lot easier for me!

You'll have a great time - try not to fret! Home is never too far away!
    I feel the exact same way you had felt. I'm ready to live independently, it's just the fact that everything will be new and different. I just hope I can adjust to Uni life fairly quickly! Thanks for the reply, it's made me a little better

ReputationRep:
    I never got homesick. Granted home wasn't far away if I wanted to go back. But for my first year living away I rarely visited.

I think some people are just more emotionally attached to places than others.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I feel the exact same way you had felt. I'm ready to live independently, it's just the fact that everything will be new and different. I just hope I can adjust to Uni life fairly quickly! Thanks for the reply, it's made me a little better
    Everything being new and different is bound to be scary but the exploring and discovering is so fun along the way and you'll learn so much - trust me, before you know it, you'll be at the end of your first year and won't know what to do with yourself - it goes in the blink of an eye!

You'll adjust without even knowing it - just enjoy it! No problem at all, happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I never got homesick. Granted home wasn't far away if I wanted to go back. But for my first year living away I rarely visited.

I think some people are just more emotionally attached to places than others.
    I'd never had thought, that I'd miss the town and place I live in. Didn't feel attached to it. Always thought I would move away easily enough, but obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never had thought, that I'd miss the town and place I live in. Didn't feel attached to it. Always thought I would move away easily enough, but obviously not.
    Well you've not moved away yet you'll probably be fine.

As a side note, I noticed the people who generally did the worst moving away (severe homesickness) were the people who were incredibly coddled while at home. So basically people whose mum and dad did everything for them, so they had never cooked or done grocery shopping before or done household tasks like washing and hoovering.

I think if you get into the habit of doing some of these things before you leave it might make the transition easier.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably just really weird but for me it didn't feel like anything. I moved out, it felt like home and I was fine. Everyone can be easily contacted by phone or Facebook or whatever.

The only thing is I sometimes miss closeness but that's mostly because I'm a very cuddly person and my friends were too so we would constantly cuddle up in my bed and watch movies or just talk and stuff like that. But got used to it too and it didn't really affect me much.

Edit. Everyone in my family enjoy being pretty independent so that may have had a part in it. Like we would see each other in the mornings and evenings but everyone took care of themselves most of the time. So it was pretty much the same when I moved out except I needed to buy more food, actual cleaning supplies, stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    it all really just depends on how good you are with dealing things independently , it does hit you a bit when you come to realise that your out of your own home and comfort zone but nearly everyone's like that so theirs no worries , you get used to it as will your peers.

ReputationRep:

The first day is terrifying a quick break is best they help you unpack and then leave (At this point it is ok to cry even if your a bloke) once you've composed your self go and say hi to your flat mates and go out to the club.

Over the next few days you may still feel a bit homesick but it will pass quickly once uni starts and you can always go home at weekends provided you don't live a long way away (I'm talking like 6-7 hours)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.