Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are there any books you recommend me reading, so that i can show i am interested in Psychology, and i can talk about this in my personal statement? As I have not done any work experience, so further reading will be very important for me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Work experience isn't important as this is an academic subject. Extra reading is though. Have a look at courses you're interested in to get an idea of what will be taught and read around those subjects.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I always recommend this one, but how about The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sachs?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2739866

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1200984

If you have a particular university in mind, they may have their reading material listed in their programme guide online. You can often buy earlier editions of these for as little as £2 used and they would still be highly relevant. A book on Research Methods and Statistics would probably the best thing to read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    I always recommend this one, but how about The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat by Oliver Sachs?
    he's written a bunch of interesting books (hallucinations, there's also one about music) but the man who mistook his wife for a hat is a really good one to start with

other books which are books rather than really academic texts - temple grandin's books, 'thinks' (david someone), Luria - man with the shattered world, freud - psychopathology of everyday life, science and poetry (can't remember author)

if you want something more academic then perhaps ask your psychology tutor at college for some suggestions?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Unfortunately that one is incredibly common to mention, so not really worth it (it's an interesting book tho)

ReputationRep:
    You could start subscribing to the Psychologist as an e-member or something like that. When I was still in college that is what I did and it was something like £10 a year and you got online copies of the magazine and then I looked for interesting articles I could mention and also to mention that I subscribed to it was something interesting to put in my personal statement. Also I don't know which uni you applied to but I am at Staffordshire university and it wasn't a problem that I didn't have psychology related work experience. Obviously every situation is different so I can't say for sure whether your application will be the same but that is just my experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.