Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a Barbell with weights HELP watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I have a budget of £25 and want to buy a barbell with weights from Amazon - basically i'll only be doing bicep curls and chest press from it
    but I have no idea what to get
    there's like "4ft, 5ft" etc and i'm like what.....

please recommend stuff/ links

Also a total noob - skinny fat - so will make gains quite fast
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    You're back again then

150kg in plates, a 20kg 6ft barbell, a power rack, some matting and a bench

That's what you need. £25 would be better spent on a gym membership for a month or two

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Hey guys I have a budget of £25 and want to buy a barbell with weights from Amazon - basically i'll only be doing bicep curls and chest press from it

Visit the FAQ thread!

May Zyzz help you brah! :dumbells:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber;[url="tel:66602718")
    66602718[/url]]You're back again then

150kg in plates, a 20kg 6ft barbell, a power rack, some matting and a bench

That's what you need. £25 would be better spent on a gym membership for a month or two

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being pedantic, i think you can get away with (upto) 50kg DBs and barbell for most things. Lift on ground floor so don't need mat

However, if you really want to lift then you need what you've said.

Is that the plan then? Say 10 years time, will you try and build a home gym or just go to a gym?

I'll build a home gym i think, isn't even expensive. Like, £1-2k will get most things, can add other things such as a nice multi-gym later on. £3-5k will build a fantastic facility which will last a fair bit of time imo.

However, i don't have £5,000 so commercial gym it is for now..,
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    Being pedantic, i think you can get away with (upto) 50kg DBs and barbell for most things. Lift on ground floor so don't need mat

However, if you really want to lift then you need what you've said..

Is that the plan then? Say 10 years time, will you try and build a home gym or just go to a gym?

I'll build a home gym i think, isn't even expensive. Like, £1-2k will get most things, can add other things such as a nice multi-gym later on. £3-5k will build a fantastic facility which will last a fair bit of time imo.

However, i don't have £5,000 so commercial gym it is for now..,
    Don't know what your floors are brah, but you'll go straight through floor boards with any kind of weight, mat needed . If you're poor you can do more with a barbell, so I wouldn't waste money on DBs

I'll be building a gym in the next 2 years if I can find a garage or similar close to where I get a job, unless there's an awesome gym within 5 miles
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Angry cucumber;[url="tel:66607434")
    66607434[/url]]Don't know what your floors are brah, but you'll go straight through floor boards with any kind of weight, mat needed . If you're poor you can do more with a barbell, so I wouldn't waste money on DBs

I'll be building a gym in the next 2 years if I can find a garage or similar close to where I get a job, unless there's an awesome gym within 5 miles
    Hmmm idk haha. I think just carpet over concrete but could be wrong.

That's a very good idea, never thought of that. Preferably i'd want the 'gym' at my house but failing that, a garage or space close by would be the next best thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)

Spend it on a gym membership.

I bought a 7ft rated barbell, 200kg of trigrip weights (just easier to move around/load up/put away), adjustable bench, rated power rack up to 300kg of weights with safety pins and a chin up bar, loads of matting, a weight tree to keep things tidy all for about £700?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Don't know what your floors are brah, but you'll go straight through floor boards with any kind of weight, mat needed . If you're poor you can do more with a barbell, so I wouldn't waste money on DBs

are you saying it's safe to use weights as long as you have a mat?

ReputationRep:
    join a gym and use the weights there
    remember as ull progress ull be spending money on biscuits
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    are you saying it's safe to use weights as long as you have a mat?
    No, it helps but is anything but fail proof

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by kumon)
    ........literally nobody does this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.