The Student Room Group

Thinking of converting to Catholicism

Hi,

I'm a muslim at for some time I've been thinking of converting to catholicism. I preety much agree with all the fundamental issues of catholic christianity and think It'll suit me really well. However, I don't know what is required for me to convert (i.e. who do I approach) and also I'm worried about how my family might react and my local muslim community. I'm worried I'll get attacked or killed by some extremist or something? Am I just over-reacting?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You know your community better than any of us. What do you think?

Also, have you really thought this through? It's a MASSIVE change. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
Reply 2
I'm 17. I've been thinking and reading about it for the past 2 years.
Reply 3
I had to convert from Protestantism to Catholicism, so I don't know if the process will be more difficult for you, leaving a considerably different religion. I had to visit a priest once a week for several months, who gave me lessons on the religion and things for me to learn / do to prove that I really cared. I didn't care, for what it's worth. I just wanted to go to a particular school and this was the only way. There was a mass held, during which I had to go up to the altar and some brief things were said, all very ritualistic, nothing too difficult. Once you convert, you'll be expected to recieve your first holy communion, something that usually happens when you're a child, but can be done with adults. This involves the same basic things as above. Then you'll be expected to confirm, which involves going to lessons for a few months, picking the name of a saint to take on as part of your identity. I chose Gabriel. This doesn't become part of your legal name. During this mass, the Bishop blesses you and gently slaps you on the cheek.. I really don't know why. It's all very degrading, but there you go.

With regards to your community, I suppose it depends on how strict they are with their faith. I'd urge you to consider whether you truly believe in religious teaching, or whether you're just more moved by Christian teaching than Islamic. There's no need to belong to any religious group, as you could easily employ the Christian message of love, compassion, charity etc in a secular lifestyle.
Reply 4
Do you have any Catholic friends who could help you with your decision?
Reply 5
ForumFreak
Do you have any Catholic friends who could help you with your decision?

Yes I have. They all agree that it's up to me to decide and they would fully help me convert and settle into the catholic community. Just wondering if anyone here is catholic, what do catholics think of converts?
Reply 6
Thelfo
I had to convert from Protestantism to Catholicism, so I don't know if the process will be more difficult for you, leaving a considerably different religion. I had to visit a priest once a week for several months, who gave me lessons on the religion and things for me to learn / do to prove that I really cared. I didn't care, for what it's worth. I just wanted to go to a particular school and this was the only way. There was a mass held, during which I had to go up to the altar and some brief things were said, all very ritualistic, nothing too difficult. Once you convert, you'll be expected to recieve your first holy communion, something that usually happens when you're a child, but can be done with adults. This involves the same basic things as above. Then you'll be expected to confirm, which involves going to lessons for a few months, picking the name of a saint to take on as part of your identity. I chose Gabriel. This doesn't become part of your legal name. During this mass, the Bishop blesses you and gently slaps you on the cheek.. I really don't know why. It's all very degrading, but there you go.

With regards to your community, I suppose it depends on how strict they are with their faith. I'd urge you to consider whether you truly believe in religious teaching, or whether you're just more moved by Christian teaching than Islamic. There's no need to belong to any religious group, as you could easily employ the Christian message of love, compassion, charity etc in a secular lifestyle.

You forgot that you need to be baptasied before you have your holy communion :p:.
Well, I am a muslim. As a muslim, it's my duty to 'ask' you, why it is you want to convert.
I did read your post, but didn't quite get to grips with it so drop me a PM.
Reply 8
Anonymous
Hi,

I'm a muslim at for some time I've been thinking of converting to catholicism. I preety much agree with all the fundamental issues of catholic christianity and think It'll suit me really well. However, I don't know what is required for me to convert (i.e. who do I approach) and also I'm worried about how my family might react and my local muslim community. I'm worried I'll get attacked or killed by some extremist or something? Am I just over-reacting?

Thanks

Here's a better idea, become an atheist, we have all the fun.:smile:
Reply 9
I wouldnt convert if I were you. theres too many 'secrets' in catholocism, that you are expected to believe, with no proof, and if you challenge the secret, then its ex-communication time for you my boy.

Just don't do it.
Reply 10
ElHierro

Well said that man! Or at least agnostic.

If you become one of those two, you can sell your morals on ebvay for a tidy packet. I did :biggrin: :rolleyes: :tsr2:
Anonymous
Yes I have. They all agree that it's up to me to decide and they would fully help me convert and settle into the catholic community. Just wondering if anyone here is catholic, what do catholics think of converts?

Hey there. :smile: I'm Catholic and I think there are some others on here too. From my knowledge, Catholics very much welcome converts (well I welcome you :cool:) . I'm not sure what else you need to do to become a Catholic - I know you definitely need to be baptised - but I'm sure there other things as well. Maybe your local Catholic Church will know?
Out of interest why do you wnat to convert to Catholiscism?
Reply 13
Anonymous
what do catholics think of converts?

very much welcomed.

to all you people suggesting the op stay with his/her current religion or convert to this or that religion instead, it's not your decision. the op has made it clear he/she would like to become a catholic and has thought about and researched it for two years

anyway, op, i think thelfo's post is the most helpful for what you want to know
ElHierro

Agreed. Think hard before joining the religion. If you had to join one, I'd advise Buddhism....but Catholism? Really? Stay an agnostic for a while at least to reassess the situation.
The_Adarshster
Agreed. Think hard before joining the religion. If you had to join one, I'd advise Buddhism....but Catholism? Really? Stay an agnostic for a while at least to reassess the situation.

i think he has spent 2 years assessing the situation...
Reply 16
Why exactly catholicism, if I may ask? There's many other, more modern sects of christianity (eg. lutheranism).

You could also try atheist, like someone mentioned. It might be quite a leap to suddenly stop believing at all, though.

Do whatever feels the best for you.

Even joining a church isn't necessary if you find it complicated. I personally think religion should be everyone's own thing, and churches and related organisations aren't really necessary.
Reply 17
Guys, back off the OP. They're talking about changing religion, and have made no mention of becoming atheist! Stop imposing your beliefs as an alternative in this situation.
Reply 18
People should just stop giving their own personal opinions on Catholicism/religon in general, its irrelevant to the OP decision and offensive. In particular, the poster who claims to have converted to get into a Catholic School seems pretty pathetic.

To the OP, is there a particular reason why you want to go official and 'join' the Catholic Church? Im not sure what the Vatican line is on non-Catholics recieving Eucharist but there's no reason why you cant follow the Catholic doctrine you seem to approve of and attend mass, even if you havent 'officially' converted. Maybe it might be a better idea to wait a few more years so your definately sure its the right path?

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your future decision.
DenkMit
Guys, back off the OP. They're talking about changing religion, and have made no mention of becoming atheist! Stop imposing your beliefs as an alternative in this situation.

Thank you for a tiny input of sensible thought.

The OP is not bored of being a Muslim and looking to try something else. He is converting to Catholicism because (hopefully) Catholicism is what he truly believes.

Latest

Trending

Trending