Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ***Was meant to say "out" not "our". Slip of the finger whilst typing on the phone***

With results day imminently crawling near and the certainty that I failed being reinforced by my thoughts, I can't help but ask if there are any Year 12 retake students who are willing to share their experiences with the process of applying, universities, restrictions etc
    I have heard that universities discriminate those who retake any exams even resitting the entire year and this is putting me on the edge D:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position as you right now and I'm completely freaking out since my college doesn't let you re sit with them and since i have really bad social anxiety I just can't go through going to a different college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heatherhoohoo)
    ***Was meant to say "out" not "our". Slip of the finger whilst typing on the phone***

With results day imminently crawling near and the certainty that I failed being reinforced by my thoughts, I can't help but ask if there are any Year 12 retake students who are willing to share their experiences with the process of applying, universities, restrictions etc
    I have heard that universities discriminate those who retake any exams even resitting the entire year and this is putting me on the edge D:
    (Original post by jasmine321)
    I'm in the same position as you right now and I'm completely freaking out since my college doesn't let you re sit with them and since i have really bad social anxiety I just can't go through going to a different college.
    Hi I had to resit year 12 after getting EEUU in Psychology, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was absolutely convinced I'd at least passed Psychology but I didn't (I was, however, only 4UMS off) I moved colleges and started again doing Sociology, Psychology (with a different exam board) and Film Studies. Looking back my attendance was low, my subjects didn't suit me, there was a lack of support and I just didn't try hard enough.

Last year, and to my complete surprise, I got ABC in those respective subjects (getting an A in Sociology still shocks me!). I applied for various Politics dual honours courses at Cardiff, Birmingham, Aberystwyth and Swansea. I received offers from all of them except Swansea because I withdrew from that application.

I firmed Cardiff and insured Aberystwyth, but come March I no longer wanted to do Politics so I changed my firm course to Journalism, Media & Sociology. Now I'm just waiting for A2 results which is terrifying.

I don't, however, regret having to redo a year at all. I feel I'm in a much better position now in terms of my Aspergers and anxiety and I loved both my college and my subjects. It's also given me time to figure out what I truly want and I am now hopefully heading towards a career in Advertising. If I'd passed that year I would have applied for Psychology and probably would have been miserable at university. I did email a few universities before I applied and they didn't appear to have any bias against retakes though obviously Oxbridge, LSE and others might so I would advise emailing if you aren't sure.

If you are retaking you have a great chance to fix what went wrong the first time so make the most of it!

Best of luck for Results Day

You'll all be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heatherhoohoo)

Not really. The ones that i know that discriminate is Imperial and oxford. Yes universities such as kings college and ucl do say you have a smaller chance especially for courses like medicine. A couple of my friends resat the whole year and have offers from kings college, UCL, Bath, nottingham and cardiff

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs a tutor I would be happy to help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.