Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did I do the right thing dumping this girl???! Watch

I was seeing this girl for about 2 months. To start with, I thought she was great. But even early on, her insecurities became obvious. She said at least 3 times in the first few weeks that I was 'way out of her leagues' and would regularly ask me if I was seeing other girls ( I wasn't ). She would always ask me if she looked okay and would become super clingy, never wanting me to leave her, even for classes.
    Towards the end of the 'relationship' she told me about her suicide attempt which had happened only a month before we started dating. It sounded like a very serious attempt and it did scare me a bit.

In the end I had to dump her. She just became too clingy and I wasn't ready for that level of commitment. I know she was very upset and I felt awful; she was a nice girl, but I just couldn't see it working.

Sometimes I still feel bad even though deep down i know it was the right thing to do.
    Was it?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I can't see the point of staying with somewhere where you either don't see it working or aren't happy. So, yeah, imo, you did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    So many major red flags in there. Lucky you got out early.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's better than stringing her along...
    I don't think she's ready for a relationship yet. You did the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    You BOTH need to be happy in a relationship, the fact that you weren't is a red flag. My ex was similar and now I'm with someone a lot more mature, understanding and compassionate, i've never been happier. She's moved on too and from what I know, we're both happier and glad how things turnt out - you did the right thing OP

ReputationRep:
    A lot of red flags, she definitely isn't in the right frame of mind to have a relationship and she needs help.

Yes it was the right thing to dump her, it wouldn't have been a great relationship

ReputationRep:
    If you had stayed with her you could have found yourself in a situation where she's using the fact she tried to commit suicide as a way to get you to do whatever she wanted, like staying up all night or doing things you wouldn't normally do. I've seen it happen before and I think you've saved yourself from worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was seeing this girl for about 2 months. To start with, I thought she was great. But even early on, her insecurities became obvious. She said at least 3 times in the first few weeks that I was 'way out of her leagues' and would regularly ask me if I was seeing other girls ( I wasn't ). She would always ask me if she looked okay and would become super clingy, never wanting me to leave her, even for classes.
    Towards the end of the 'relationship' she told me about her suicide attempt which had happened only a month before we started dating. It sounded like a very serious attempt and it did scare me a bit.

In the end I had to dump her. She just became too clingy and I wasn't ready for that level of commitment. I know she was very upset and I felt awful; she was a nice girl, but I just couldn't see it working.

Sometimes I still feel bad even though deep down i know it was the right thing to do.
    Was it?
    Was definitely the right thing to do; girls (and guys) often use the 'you're out of my league' to manipulate the other person and make them feel bad, and it looks it's the reason you feel bad. Honestly by staying with her you would've hurt her more; no one wants a half hearted person in a relationship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.