Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am an international student, going to apply this year for entry in 2017. To meet the English language requirements I'll be giving the IELTS. I was wondering if I need to have my IELTS scores before applying through UCAS, or do the universities need the scores after I get an offer? TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lidiaislam13)
    Hi. I am an international student, going to apply this year for entry in 2017. To meet the English language requirements I'll be giving the IELTS. I was wondering if I need to have my IELTS scores before applying through UCAS, or do the universities need the scores after I get an offer? TIA
    When you take IELTS you can ask them to send the results directly to the university. The application process will be as for everyone else except that if you get an offer it will be conditional on your getting the required IELTS result. Make sure you take the academic IELTS though, not the general one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whoknowswhy)
    When you take IELTS you can ask them to send the results directly to the university. The application process will be as for everyone else except that if you get an offer it will be conditional on your getting the required IELTS result. Make sure you take the academic IELTS though, not the general one.
    So does that mean I can sit for the IELTS even after sending my UCAS application, as long as I can provide it before accepting the conditional offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I think the universities have to get your IELTS results by 31st of July 2017. Good luck with your application!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So does that mean I can sit for the IELTS even after sending my UCAS application, as long as I can provide it before accepting the conditional offer?
    Just check with the relevant unis but yes I think so. Looking at Imperial College's website for example, they say that: "
    Imperial College London considers IELTS scores to be valid for 2 years. Scores must be valid at the beginning of your studies at Imperial if your application is successful." so that implies that the success of your application does not depend on your IELTS. But personally I think you might find it easier to take it this summer before school starts again. It is quite involved.

ReputationRep:
    I have done the IELTS exam in August then applied to universities so my offers were not conditional on me achieving a certain IELTS score

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.