Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Over the last month since the UK voted to leave the European Union, I have been thinking to myself just as to what the scale of the brain drain effect could be once Britain fully leaves by 2019. On one hand, I don't think it will be that big. Only a few countries in the EU offer comparable employment prospects like the Nordic nations and they don't require a large amount of English talent relative to their population size.

On the other hand, do I see those in professional fields being pilfered away. Heck yes and I see this not only happening with a pull from European nations but also from other nations around the world. They know that people like me are anxious as hell that Brexit could do real damage and they'll be more likely to offer work visa's and subsequent citizenship.

This is a real difficult time honestly. The thing I have noticed is that the Brexiters have begun trying to put young people who do have professional ambitions off from leaving the UK in quite vile ways to be honest. It feels to me in a way like an admission that they don't know what they're doing and they want the smart folk(you know, the ones they hated) to stick around and share the suffering.

My advice. IF you have established yourself in a professional field in the UK. IF you have no girlfriends or children. IF you are willing to experience a whole new culture. IF you can handle all of these and many more things, and the opportunity presents itself, get out of the country ASAP. It's no use to think that if you are currently in university about getting out because you haven't got a career yet but think about it(as long as its a demanded skill as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    My advice. IF you have established yourself in a professional field in the UK. IF you have no girlfriends or children. IF you are willing to experience a whole new culture. IF you can handle all of these and many more things, and the opportunity presents itself, get out of the country ASAP. It's no use to think that if you are currently in university about getting out because you haven't got a career yet but think about it(as long as its a demanded skill as well)
    Lots of IFs there. I don't think we will see that many people leave. If life is comfortable (it is) there isn't much reason to leave. People only start looking elsewhere when things are really really bad. We lambaste economic immigrants as an irritation that need to be swatted, without thinking about the conditions they are leaving behind. Were we in the same position, we would be off like a shot.
    We have a long we to fall before we start seeing mass emigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marco14196)
    Over the last month since the UK voted to leave the European Union, I have been thinking to myself just as to what the scale of the brain drain effect could be once Britain fully leaves by 2019. On one hand, I don't think it will be that big. Only a few countries in the EU offer comparable employment prospects like the Nordic nations and they don't require a large amount of English talent relative to their population size.

On the other hand, do I see those in professional fields being pilfered away. Heck yes and I see this not only happening with a pull from European nations but also from other nations around the world. They know that people like me are anxious as hell that Brexit could do real damage and they'll be more likely to offer work visa's and subsequent citizenship.

This is a real difficult time honestly. The thing I have noticed is that the Brexiters have begun trying to put young people who do have professional ambitions off from leaving the UK in quite vile ways to be honest. It feels to me in a way like an admission that they don't know what they're doing and they want the smart folk(you know, the ones they hated) to stick around and share the suffering.

You are leading the scaremongering again. Things won't change much at all. Our destinations may alter, but very little else will.*

The time for leaving the bloated behemoth that is the EU had arrived and we have lead the charge. There will still be jobs and we will still be *in one of the greatest countries in the world. Opportunity will still exist for those who are willing to work for it. Get a grip man.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to work abroad, work abroad. I doubt people need your 'advice' to do so. I can't see any significant brain drain happening, in spite of your encouragement of it.

Lots of people said 'if Labour/Tories win the election I'm moving abroad'. It never happens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.