Turn on thread page Beta

Sign below to request 'individual EU membership' as,part of Brexit deal watch

ReputationRep:
    EU.” https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/161459w

And

https://www.change.org/p/uk-prime-mi...edium=copylink

Just received this email from EU: Yesterday I decided together with Guy Verhofstadt to withdraw my amendment on Associate EU Citizenship. We realised that this has become a very important issue that cannot await treaty change - as was my intention when I first tabled my amendment - since this might take years. Yesterday evening, the House of Commons decided by a majority of almost 400 to support Theresa May’s plan to trigger article 50 by the end of March 2017. Hence the prospect that Article 50 will be invoked has become very real indeed. The European Parliament will define its position on the Brexit agreement through a resolution during spring 2017. This seems to be the best opportunity to give Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt the possibility to enforce the Associate EU Citizenship. I recognise this might come as a surprise to many of you, but please understand that the abovementioned procedure makes it much more likely for the Associate EU Citizenship to succeed than through an amendment. Yours sincerely, Charles Goerens

ReputationRep:
    Piss on that. It's a moronic petition they completely ignores how the EU works.

You might as well sign a petition to make the government turn back time to before the referendum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

You might as well sign a petition to make the government turn back time to before the referendum.
    And that is exactly what they may do if talks fail.
    They can indeed legally and constitutionally revoke the entire agreement to be part of the EU if they so choose and just walk away with no further negotiations.

You are ok with businesses having EU 'passports' while the country exits then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    And that is exactly what they may do if talks fail.
    They can indeed legally and constitutionally revoke the entire agreement to be part of the EU if they so choose and just walk away with no further negotiations.

You are quite ok with businesses having EU 'passports' while the country exits then?
    Passporting rights? Of course, it's good for the financial services industry.

But that has no relation to the petition, which is pushing for something impossible. A country can be an EU member, but a person cannot. The petition is ludicrous

ReputationRep:
    Passporting rights? Of course, it's good for the financial services industry.

But that has no relation to the petition, which is pushing for something impossible. A country can be an EU member, but a person cannot. The petition is ludicrous
    Financial services is not a country, last time I checked. Yet they will retain their privileges.
    Noone told the 'people' that they were not members of the EU.
    It is no more impossible to do this than any other matter now being discussed by May.
    It is impossible to put a seven year cap on migration...which is planned, who are they going to stop entering? Now that's imossible in practice, but it has been proposed amd will likely be implemented.

ReputationRep:
    signed

ReputationRep:
    1000 views and three have signed.
    (Original post by ckfeister)
    signed

ReputationRep:
    CBA looking but I assume this is the same petition in your other thread?

ReputationRep:

I will do anything I can to retain my EU citizenship and rights. I was born in Britain a member of the EU and so my citizenship is British and EU and I'm not gonna have that taken away from me. I'm AN EU CITIZEN!

After my studies I want to live and work in Europe, its been my plan long before the stupid referendum. Now if I loose my EU citizenship that's gonna be a whole lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    I started a similar one a few weeks ago,but it was rejected because the way it was worded made it impossible to implement.
    (Original post by viffer)
    CBA looking but I assume this is the same petition in your other thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    I will do anything I can to retain my EU citizenship and rights. I was born in Britain a member of the EU and so my citizenship is British and EU and I'm not gonna have that taken away from me. I'm AN EU CITIZEN!

After my studies I want to live and work in Europe, its been my plan long before the stupid referendum. Now if I loose my EU citizenship that's gonna be a whole lot harder.
    Hopefully for you Brexit will not happen, but it's already destroyed goodwill, because it is to arduous a process with little to gain at this point,msince there wil stil be no way to prevent people overloading the infrastructure.
    However, sign the petition to,at least try to train what little EU individual,rights you have, aside from governmemt and big business.
    It's going to be hard to get travel and work visas and expensive, time consuming, going through complicated agencies etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why would the EU make that allowance unless those individuals opt to pay into the EU budget? :rofl: If you care so much about having an EU passport either be part Irish or buy property in an EU member state.

ReputationRep:
    The individual WILL be paying into the EU budget st the same rate,,amd will only get travel education and work visas etc. So in essence, the EU will be getting something for very little in terms of cost to them.
    (Original post by Atlas Thugged)
    Why would the EU make that allowance unless those individuals opt to pay into the EU budget? :rofl: If you care so much about having an EU passport either be part Irish or buy property in an EU member state.

ReputationRep:
    Financial services is not a country, last time I checked. Yet they will retain their privileges.
    Noone told the 'people' that they were not members of the EU.
    It is no more impossible to do this than any other matter now being discussed by May.
    It is impossible to put a seven year cap on migration...which is planned, who are they going to stop entering? Now that's imossible in practice, but it has been proposed amd will likely be implemented.
    It's not the businesses who will be EU members, it would mean the UK retaining or getting some concession on freedom of services.

Similarly UK citizens could retain free access to the EU if we retain freedom of people.

By all means push for that. But don't support a brainless petition appealing for the unfathomable. EU members are countries, not individuals.

ReputationRep:

EU citizenship is parasitic on national citizenship. Your EU citizenship will cease to exist the moment the UK officially leaves.

If you're desperate to remain an EU citizen then you'll need to get citizenship of another EU country.

Supporting this petition is not going to help you one iota

ReputationRep:

Me, me, me, I'm this, I'm that, my studies, my plans, my problems, me.

You really don't have a choice about what's going to be taken away from you (beyond your vote in the referendum, which you lost) and EU citizenship is a legal status, not a personal identity, so no amount of repetition or strength of feeling on your part will make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    These petitions don't do anything they're a waste of time

ReputationRep:
    And the seven year cap ...now dos that work? Wno will they exclude?
    EU citizenship is parasitic on national citizenship. Your EU citizenship will cease to exist the moment the UK officially leaves.

If you're desperate to remain an EU citizen then you'll need to get citizenship of another EU country.

Supporting this petition is not going to help you one iota

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Me, me, me, I'm this, I'm that, my studies, my plans, my problems, me.

You really don't have a choice about what's going to be taken away from you (beyond your vote in the referendum, which you lost) and EU citizenship is a legal status, not a personal identity, so no amount of repetition or strength of feeling on your part will make any difference.
    Then why not just say a country is part of this or that treaty or agreement amd leave people out of it. People have feelings and do identify as European. The whole thing has Ben used to expose emore countries to the UK to rape the country of its benefits to send back 'home.' These people do not love or respect the country, language or culture unlike Timmona, who loves the EU.

ReputationRep:
    And the seven year cap ...now dos that work? Wno will they exclude?
    This suggestion, which is nothing more than that at this stage, would simply entail single market access without needing full free movement of services.

But what does that have to do with the petition?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.