The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I came here to say just this :angry:

If I was a woman I would buy man jeans etc.

I never wear jeans so I can't even do that. :angry:
Because I need somewhere to keep my phone, purse & makeup. I usually wear skirts, so no pockets. And on all the pairs of jeans I have got, the pockets are ridiculously small.
Reply 22
Hairbrush in case my hair gets messy
make up in case i need to touch up
mirror to help me touch up my make up
perfume/body spray for after gym
facial wipes - never know when you might need them
sanitary towels - when i need them
a pen - always comes in handy
my purse - always need that
some hand cream/gel - for when my hands get dry
an umbrella during the cold weather
some spare change

basically everything a person could ever need suddenly when out one day - you can be certain that we're carrying it in our bag

heck if i'm taking a bigger bag with me i sometimes have some spare shoes and clothes in there too
I don't like the big, bulky ones. I like the ones that just hang by your side and you can put the strap across your body. I don't always wear them but sometimes I worry about all my things falling out of my pockets. I keep my phone, oyster, some glasses wipes (you know just in case), a little money and a pack of tissues.
I'm one of those dummies who carries her life in her purse, I get so paranoid before I leave the house that I might need something and I never even need em. Smh. Better to be safe then sorry.
Just in case I need to attack a lion at Grand Central

(Madagascar reference :tongue:)
Where are you people finding clothes pockets that can safely store 5.5 inch phones?

Also if I'm leaving the house, chances are I'm carrying an item from place A to place B. Kinda hard to do without carrying a bag with you!
I carry my makeup, phone & perfume.
You know that some men also carry handbags :colone:
Original post by Josb
Buy clothes with real pockets. :idea:

Original post by PurpleSquid
trust me - easier said than done
when looking for clothes for women there are 3 things to consider

1. they fit well/look nice
2. are priced reasonably
3. have useable pockets

now pick two from the above - that's pretty much my entire experience with shopping
plus when shopping for jeans online the description never mentions whether the pockets are fake or 1 inch deep

also girls that wear dresses/skirts won't have pockets anyway*

As above. Finding trousers with decent pockets is basically impossible.
Reply 30
Original post by Precious Illusions
As above. Finding trousers with decent pockets is basically impossible.

Wear a coat/jacket with pockets.

Reply 31
Original post by Josb
Buy clothes with real pockets. :idea:

It isn't easy to find women's clothes with proper pockets. The pockets on women's clothes are usually fake ones as part of the design or too small to put stuff in.

To answer the OP: I use a handbag to carry my keys, purse, mp3 player and phone as they won't fit in my pockets. I may also carry various stuff such as a bottle of water, make up, hairbrush, sanitary protection, umbrella, sunglasses, my charger etc depending on the situation. There has also been a few times when my boyfriend has put his stuff in my bag when we've been on a day out.
Original post by T-Raw
Why do they need them? What could they really need that men dont need. I looked in my GFs bag all she had was her purse and a few sticks of gum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's to carry all our **** in
I have got tons of junk, i really wish i could walk around with nothing but my keys, money and oyster card but it's impossible to do
I carry sunglasses,
Reading glasses,
Umbrella ( even in summer because the weather is unpredictable )
Translucent face powder as that's all i use as i'm not big on make up
Tissues,
Sanitizer hand gel,
Tiny hand cream,
Lots of paper that i have written stuff on,
Pens ( I take free from the bank because strangers are always asking to borrow them and sometimes never give them back )
Impulse body spray not perfume
CV
I hate carrying a bag but alas it's necessary. Women don't have the luxury of big pockets like men do. I keep the contents of my bag simple; phone, coin purse, card holder, pads, simple makeup and an extra pair of undiesand socks. :tongue:
Intend to wear dresses sand skirts which most don't have pockets, so to basically carry around a load of shite most of which I don't use or belong to other people.
phone
purse
water bottle
period supplies
gum
shopping bags
snack food
umbrella
hair grips
spare pair of tights
make-up compact and nail polish (for touch ups on the go)
perfume
hand cream
lip balm
and probably a couple more things I forgot...

Even without the need for beauty stuff, I still don't know how guys survive without handbags !
Original post by Josb
Wear a coat/jacket with pockets.

A lot of coat pockets are either fake or ridiculously small (this is the case with all my coats).

To top it off the way most of them are designed to fit a woman's body it means if you out stuff other than a phone and keys in the pocket they'll stick out and look ridiculous and noticeably strange. The above two points are notoriously true of high street clothing.

Do you honestly think women have never thought "oh I'll just put everything in my coat pocket?". Yeah we've thought about it, and we've tried it.

not to mention in the summer months who wants to carry/ wear a coat at all? I haven't worn or carried a coat in about 2 months now. And women's summer clothes are completely devoid of pockets, and again the ones that are have the same issue as above. Due to their form fitting nature it looks silly if you have a lot in your pockets.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by SophieSmall
A lot of coat pockets are either fake or ridiculously small (this is the case with all my coats).

To top it off the way most of them are designed to fit a woman's body it means if you out stuff other than a phone and keys in the pocket they'll stick out and look ridiculous and noticeably strange. The above two points are notoriously true of high street clothing.

Do you honestly think women have never thought "oh I'll just put everything in my coat pocket?". Yeah we've thought about it, and we've tried it.

not to mention in the summer months who wants to carry/ wear a coat at all? I haven't worn or carried a coat in about 2 months now. And women's summer clothes are completely devoid of pockets, and again the ones that are have the same issue as above. Due to their form fitting nature it looks silly if you have a lot in your pockets.

I think women's clothes are devoid of pockets to force women to buy handbags. :tongue:
Original post by Josb
I think women's clothes are devoid of pockets to force women to buy handbags. :tongue:

I don't doubt that plays a role.
Because I can't walk around with my house so I make a mini version of it. :h:

Latest