Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm staring IB in September, and so have been browsing through here looking for advice and stuff to help me survive it...(!)

pretty much all of you have said that you should get CAS done asap - so I'm just wondering first of all ,whether anything I do in the holidays will count towards it (as I haven't actually started the course yet...) and also, if anyone has any ideas for what to do?? I don't do anything really, (like sports clubs etc.) so I'm kinda stuck...

I'm planning on doing silver DoE for my action, Young Enterprise for my creativity and a peer mentoring scheme at my school for service... I'm also doing a weeks work experience next week at a primary school - does this count for service?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peabob)
    I'm staring Ib in September, and so have been browsing through here looking for advice and stuff to help me survive it...(!)

pretty much all of you have said that you should get CAS done asap - so I'm just wondering first of all, whether anything I do in the holidays will count towards it (as I haven't actually started the course yet...) and also, if anyone has any ideas for what to do?? I don't do anything really, (like sports clubs etc.) so I'm kinda stuck...

I'm planning on doing silver DoE for my action, Young Enterprise for my creativity and a peer mentoring scheme at my school for service... I'm also doing a weeks work experience next week at a primary school - does this count for service?
    Good day..

What you need to know first of all is that there is a CAS coordinator in your school who actually supervises everything you do, and accrodingly, gives you credit CAS hours. You have to go and ask him/her whether the activities that you do before starting the IB are counted or not. In our school, for example, they were not. However, afterwards, everything is taken into consideration.

All the activities mentioned above are quite interesting, but are you sure you will finish the 50 hours for each category (and even more)?! Try to diversify your choices; useful for the IB and the Personal Statement for universities. See what you want to do when you grow up and act accordingly. Anyway, here are some suggestions;

- Creativity: Take some lessons in music, dancing, painting, film-making..etc
    - Action: Go hiking, camping, gym (since you don't like joining sports teams), cycling..
    - Service: (my favourite) If you like teaching, volunteer at a close school. You might want to volunteer in a clinic/hospital (if interested in health sciences e.g. medicine), company (interested in business) or other places. Help in a soup kitchen, walk dogs or other beneficial things.

Hope these help! Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    You cant count stuff you do in the summer before you start IB as CAS though you can count stuff in the summer between IB1 and IB2.
    There's plenty of activity suggestions in the CAS activities thread (link available in the Guide sticky.) Good luck with IB

ReputationRep:
    You can also count stuff from after IB year 2 finishes apparently. But it's so easy to do CAS. Just do stuff, and lie a bit too if you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deus)
    You can also count stuff from after IB year 2 finishes apparently. But it's so easy to do CAS. Just do stuff, and lie a bit too if you need.
    well if you dont hav enough hours in the 2 yrs you can make them up in the summer after IB2.

(Original post by Deus)
    But it's so easy to do CAS. Just do stuff, and lie a bit too if you need.
    :laugh: corrupting innocent minds, Deus? tsk tsk.

I've given this advice before as well :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMSChocolate)
    well if you dont hav enough hours in the 2 yrs you can make them up in the summer after IB2.

:laugh: corrupting innocent minds, Deus? tsk tsk.

I've given this advice before as well :ninja:
    Beware peabob!! Don't listen to them!! jk. Anyway, you'll do fine, the CAS hours will be finished before you know it. I finished mine during the IB1 so that I can focus my mind on more important things during IB2. Also, the CAS coordinators are lenient when it comes to hours (or aren't they? hmmm )

ReputationRep:
    This is the trick behind CAS:

You don't actually need to do it, you just need to say that you have. And of course have your friends sign your CAS commitment sheets in return for your signing their's. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, that's true. Many students and schools do that. WHERE IS THE HONESTY PEOPLE?! The IB didn't make the CAS obligatory for us to go and forge signatures! I mean it's better to just do them.. It really feels good; besides, many universities look at the extra-curricular activities besides the school grades for admission. I remember a guy at our school a couple of years ago got a 45 but rejected from some university.. It turns out they look for these stuff in order to admit students.

So people, just do them, you won't regret it! . Have a nice day everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIO-AQUA)
    Well yes, that's true. Many students and schools do that. WHERE IS THE HONESTY PEOPLE?! The IB didn't make the CAS obligatory for us to go and forge signatures! I mean it's better to just do them.. It really feels good;
    CAS is fun! I have just finished my first year of IB and am already done with CAS. I've gone on MUN trips abroad and cricket trips, and they have been really valuable experiences. When you have fun, the hours just zoom by.

The trick is finding an activity that you enjoy (and would do regardless of CAS) and make it count towards your CAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIO-AQUA)
    Well yes, that's true. Many students and schools do that. WHERE IS THE HONESTY PEOPLE?! The IB didn't make the CAS obligatory for us to go and forge signatures! I mean it's better to just do them.. It really feels good; besides, many universities look at the extra-curricular activities besides the school grades for admission. I remember a guy at our school a couple of years ago got a 45 but rejected from some university.. It turns out they look for these stuff in order to admit students.

So people, just do them, you won't regret it! . Have a nice day everyone
    I really enjoyed creativity and action, and amassed over 200 hours in each of these categories. However I hated doing service activities and thus barely got started in that. So although you are correct in stating that one should have extra-curricular activities, it is not essential that one follow CAS exactly.

ReputationRep:
    just try ur best to help people!!!=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    .. So although you are correct in stating that one should have extra-curricular activities, it is not essential that one follow CAS exactly.
    It's true, but the CAS helps in that. Universities take into account the activities you did for CAS plus any extra work you have done.

ReputationRep:
    However, if you do decide on lying (which btw I don't recommend :P), remember to check clearly. If you do an activity with someone else who also has it as CAS, make sure you put the same dates and such or else you could smell trouble.

Not to mention about the supervison - if you're applying to a uni in which they will take in to account your activities, then it's better to not have a student or a family member (unless they have different surname heh) as your supervisor because it won't look very er...professional.

And I agree with deranged_dragon - Cas is fun. You just need to find something you enjoy

Oh and I think this apply for most schools (but I could be wrong - someone who can back me up?) but even if you finish your 50 hours quickly, you need to continue with CAS. The main focus isn't after all to do '50 hours'. In fact, I have heard they might change that but I still don't know if it was true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afterglow)
    Oh and I think this apply for most schools (but I could be wrong - someone who can back me up?) but even if you finish your 50 hours quickly, you need to continue with CAS. The main focus isn't after all to do '50 hours'. In fact, I have heard they might change that but I still don't know if it was true.
    Yes we were told that CAS must be 'continuous', and that we can't stop with an activity as soon as 50 hours is up.

ReputationRep:
    I no nothing about CAS being continuous cuz activities in our school occur in sessions (3 sessions each year), and sports are in 3 seasons as well, so its hard to keep it continuous. Besides, schools have different policies concerning CAS, and i think MUN just went out of the service list at my school last year (for IYA). You have to negotiate with your CAS co ordinator about points. CAS is very flexible and also if you're doing external activities you don't have to lie about doing it, but maybe just stretch the amount of hours :P....just an idea u kno?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deranged_dragon)
    Yes we were told that CAS must be 'continuous', and that we can't stop with an activity as soon as 50 hours is up.
    Yes. While CAS could be fun and most students would be fine with continuing after the 50 hrs is up, most students also think the CAS forms required for those continued activities a pain in the arse. The time you spend on CAS forms could be so much better spent doing other things...like more CAS :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HMSChocolate)
    You cant count stuff you do in the summer before you start IB as CAS though you can count stuff in the summer between IB1 and IB2.
    There's plenty of activity suggestions in the CAS activities thread (link available in the Guide sticky.) Good luck with IB
    At our school we can count stuff from the summer before IB. At both of my IB schools in fact. I hope they haven't changed that rule, or I'd be screwedd (for service).

ReputationRep:
    Do they take them into consideration? Wow, I remember at our school the activities were not counted until you start the first year of IB. Anyway, I guess whether you start before or after, you'll easily finish them.

ReputationRep:
    How many hours is it you do for CAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pszczoleczka)
    How many hours is it you do for CAS?
    150 hours, 50 in each aspect.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.