Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    3.5g of a mixture of potassium sulphate and potassium carbonate were made up to 250cm^3 of aqueous solution.25cm^3 of this solution required 24.6cm^3 of 0.11M HCL acid to neutrilize.What is the percentage by mass of potassium carbonate in the mixture?

ReputationRep:
    Work out how many moles of HCL you used (assuming you know how to do this).
    Write out the balanced equation for the reaction between the base and the acid (are both of K2SO4 and K2CO3 bases? no)
    Work out how many moles there were of the base in 25 cm^3
    Therefore how many moles are there in 250cm^3?
    Once you know the moles and the molar mass, you can find the mass of the solid.
    Then do a percentage

shady2.0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richpanda)
    Work out how many moles of HCL you used (assuming you know how to do this).
    Write out the balanced equation for the reaction between the base and the acid (are both of K2SO4 and K2CO3 bases? no)
    Work out how many moles there were of the base in 25 cm^3
    Therefore how many moles are there in 250cm^3?
    Once you know the moles and the molar mass, you can find the mass of the solid.
    Then do a percentage
    Thank you,but it says that it is a mixture of K2SO4 and K2CO3.I just did some digging and it says that we should neglect the K2SO4 since it is slightly basic.Thank you anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady2.0)
    Thank you,but it says that it is a mixture of K2SO4 and K2CO3.I just did some digging and it says that we should neglect the K2SO4 since it is slightly basic.Thank you anyways
    Yes I was aware of that, hence why I told you only one of them is a base.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by shady2.0)
    I doubt very much that (in real terms) potassium sulfate is slightly basic. It is the salt of a strong base and a strong acid and most examination boards will describe it as a neutral salt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.