Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

basically I've worked in retail for a year now and they're pretty **** at following general rules so I'm kinda used to getting screwed over now however, We're typically meant to get the rota 2 weeks in advance however 9 times out of 10 we get it the Sunday night before we need it. I've been on holiday the past week so I messaged a colleague on Sunday when I got back and she sent me the rota. Wasn't working till Wednesday so I booked a hospital appointment that I needed for Tuesday (today) I've just woken to a message from a colleague saying "did you know you're meant to be at work?" I'm so pissed off that they've changed the rota and not told me, how can it have changed since Sunday? I feel like I'm gonna get *******ed now for not going in but I'm going to this hospital appointment because it needs to be done and I'm going to be sedated to I won't be able to go in this afternoon either. Idk what to do, I don't wanna get in trouble but this seems so unfair

(Original post by Anonymous)
    basically I've worked in retail for a year now and they're pretty **** at following general rules so I'm kinda used to getting screwed over now however, We're typically meant to get the rota 2 weeks in advance however 9 times out of 10 we get it the Sunday night before we need it. I've been on holiday the past week so I messaged a colleague on Sunday when I got back and she sent me the rota. Wasn't working till Wednesday so I booked a hospital appointment that I needed for Tuesday (today) I've just woken to a message from a colleague saying "did you know you're meant to be at work?" I'm so pissed off that they've changed the rota and not told me, how can it have changed since Sunday? I feel like I'm gonna get *******ed now for not going in but I'm going to this hospital appointment because it needs to be done and I'm going to be sedated to I won't be able to go in this afternoon either. Idk what to do, I don't wanna get in trouble but this seems so unfair
    Did you tell them about your hospital appointment or tell them you wouldn't be available? If you did then you've done nothing wrong. Also, if you weren't in work yesterday and no one informed you yesterday that the rota had changed since Sunday then you've done nothing wrong and it's their fault. If you were in yesterday but you weren't informed that the rota had changed or told to check it, then it's not your fault.

I don't even get a rota 2 weeks in advance at my work - it literally changes from day to day but even still, if they haven't actually informed me in person or through the phone, then it would be their fault if I missed a shift. Luckily for them and not so luckily for me, they're constantly phoning me and texting me so I've never missed a shift - even short notice ones. Sounds like bad management, like much of retail.

Hope your hospital appointment goes well, don't let this stress you - just call your work and and explain and ask for them to inform you properly in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    You've done nothing wrong.

It's completely reasonable for you to book a hospital appointment in your time off without telling them. What do they expect? For you not to plan anything in your life so they can swap shifts on you at the last minute?

If they change the schedule, it's upto THEM to notify you. Particularly if you've been on holiday.

As for you how you should deal with it:

It depends on your management. Know you're in the right but try not to come off as self-righteous. Just say you need to be informed of any changes to the schedule, particularly as you have hospital appointments and other unavoidable stuff.

You're definitely in the right here. Nothing they can tell you otherwise.

SS

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.