Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Ubermensch)
    Narrower, and the correct one.

Durham, Bristol and possibly Warwick = very good
    York = good
    Nottingham = high good
    I'll come up with one to please everyone....

God Like - LSE
    Semi-God Like - Edinburgh, IC
    Good - Others
    Spawn of Satan - UCL, Warwick

(Original post by Leekey)

God Like - LSE
    Good - Others

Now you're making sense.

ReputationRep:
    Now you're making sense.
    *points* you must be Gnostic! Or least a relative!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Reading is an okay university. It is not prestigious.
    I am starting to see that Reading is probably not a prestigious university, but I wouldn't say that it is just OK. I would consider universities which are listed between 40 and 60 in the league tables to be OK, below that not particularly excellent, but for Reading I would have to disagree with the person who said that it was just OK. It's one of the oldest unis in the UK and definetly has some great departments, with world class lecturers teaching them and it is fairly high in the league tables which in my opinion makes it at least a 'good' university.

In terms of the people who said that Nottingham is not prestigious, I would definetly have to disagree with that. Any of the top 10 uni's I would definetly say is prestigious, even some in the top 20. Also it's a russell group uni and its one of the hardest and most competitive uni's to get into. Put all these facts togeather and you get the answer that it is indeed prestigious although obviously not as prestigious as Oxbridge.

Thanx you guys anyway for all the threads!!

Generally prestige is based on the uninformed masses perception of a university. Due to the fact that the uninformed masses seems to feel that older universities are better, the simple fact remains that, on the whole, prestigious univerisites are the oldest ones. It is for this reason why prestige is a pointless persuit and should be ignored by those claiming to posses knowledge on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)

God Like - LSE
    Good - Others

LOL...I thought you were going to create a new category for UEA, you always seem to be raving about it....

ReputationRep:
    Well, let's just say that Nottingham is not exactly the LSE...
    lol.....

Well let's just say that LSE is not exactly Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slinec)
    lol.....

Well let's just say that LSE is not exactly Oxford...
    or cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masonne)
    or cambridge
    or Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    or Reading.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/3898157.stm

Students are left without course

Music degree students at the University of Reading have been told they must finish their courses elsewhere because the music department is closing down....

ReputationRep:
    Oh great, so if i dont go to Nottingham, I'll end up going to a university that seems like its on the verge of financial collapse! what if my course closes!!!

ReputationRep:
    Going by the high rankings you quoted, the statement of directing resources to where it has a realistic chance of excellence doesn't suggest that psychology is in danger.

As for the financial side of things, they've just opened a new research facility there so it doesn't seem like a department in trouble.

From http://www.extra.rdg.ac.uk/news/details.asp?ID=361

The School has been very successful in attracting external research funding, with grant income averaging around £1million per annum.

ReputationRep:
    Narrower, and the correct one.

Durham, Bristol and possibly Warwick = very good
    York = good
    Nottingham = high good
    I don't understand why Warwick, Bristol et al are considered more "prestigious" than York when York consistently comes higher than them, at number 6, normally, in the league tables. ( You can tell I'm a bit biased on this one, although I haven't started at York yet)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btigershark)

recieve the amaizing 6* award.

The 6* award rewards consistent excellence in research in the 1996 and 2001 Research Assessment Exercises. It is not necessarily an indicator that the research remains excellent in 2004 (staff leave, the department becomes complacent). It is certainly not an indicator of the quality of an undergraduate course (although research-led teaching is why one goes to university rather than a further education college).

ReputationRep:
    In some ways its getting less and less important where your degree is from, its your postgrad and your experience that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    In some ways its getting less and less important where your degree is from, its your postgrad and your experience that matter.
    Important point.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why Warwick, Bristol et al are considered more "prestigious" than York when York consistently comes higher than them, at number 6, normally, in the league tables. ( You can tell I'm a bit biased on this one, although I haven't started at York yet)
    I would rank York as being more or less equal to Warwick and the two as being better than Bristol. I think York is one of the best unis in the country (twas my second choice and would have liked to go there) though it does seem to be left out of the prestige discussions (maybe it remains slightly anonymous due to the fact that it's not a member of the Russell Group? Or maybe not).

Saying that York "consistently" ranks higher than Warwick in league tables is slightly erroneous however. Having studied this and previous years league tables from all the newspapers to help me find the right course/uni for me i very much got the impression that Warwick/York and UCL almost invariably held 5/6/7 spots and flitted between them each year - apart, of course, from the guardian which seems to be in love with all of the london colleges to the extent that it includes SOAS and Kings as 3rd (???) and 5th respectively. (this years times = 5th: warwick - 6th: UCL - 7th: York, this years sunday times = 5th: UCL - 6th: York - 7th: Warwick) and in this years times guide, warwick was practically tied with LSE in 4th (something like 0.1% in it). This whole thing is starting sound like a big fat quibble...

If i had to pick again i would still go to Warwick. As well as consistently being one of the handful of unis never to be out of the top ten and often around 5th position, it seems to have the edge over York as far as reputation is concerned (though i agree, i dont know why) which would consequently be a bonus when it comes to getting a job (in the telegraphs uni guide where they took all of the guides available and created an average, warwick was 5th i believe and york 6th overall, but for employment Warwick was still 5th in the country whereas York was somewhere scandalous like 28th).

Anyway, its best not to read too much into league tables......... Yorks a great uni, (but warwicks better )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenverDiva)
    The 6* award rewards consistent excellence in research in the 1996 and 2001 Research Assessment Exercises.
    Actually, the highest research score is 5*. There's no such thing as 6*!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, the highest research score is 5*. There's no such thing as 6*!
    Actually there is. Its for university departments that have consistently earned the 5* rating in research assessments, to differentiate between those with 5* only in the last assessment, and those who have had it previously as well. Hope that makes sense.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.