Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This might not be the best place to ask but if there's anywhere better to ask please let me know. I'm graduating this year with a BEng and wasn't expecting to get decent exam results which meant I only applied for a few jobs and with applications that weren't great, so I didn't get any offers.

Somehow I've managed to get a 2.1 which is great but it's a bit late to apply for most good jobs and masters programs now. If I'd known about my result beforehand I'd have applied to a lot more, a bad excuse I know. What are my best options now? I'd like to work in finance/banking/consulting, so I'd apply for those jobs for next year, but I really don't want to waste a year until then. Anyone been in a similar position?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Apply to what you can now that's relevant and see what you get. You can always keep a look out for other stuff that comes along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hypnotized)
    Somehow I've managed to get a 2.1 which is great but it's a bit late to apply for most good jobs and masters programs now. If I'd known about my result beforehand I'd have applied to a lot more, a bad excuse I know. What are my best options now? I'd like to work in finance/banking/consulting, so I'd apply for those jobs for next year, but I really don't want to waste a year until then. Anyone been in a similar position?
    I'd caution against doing a master's course as a 'refuge option': most master's courses are expensive, and not all of them are clearly career assets. Depending on your circumstances, I'd have thought that a year doing any work you can pick up but also getting your foot in the door in finance/banking/consulting & making strong set of applications in the next round of graduate recruitment schemes would not necessarily be a year wasted.

All of that said... universities are sometimes open to late applications to master's courses (they are, after all, often profitable courses for the institutions that run them) so if you're dead set on the master's option it might be worth contacting departments which have courses you're interested in and asking whether they'd still consider an application at this stage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.