Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to buy a used car from autotrader.
    My budget is upto £1500.
    I'm not really sure what to look for when buying a car.
    What year of car should you be looking to buy?
    What sort of mileage is okay to go for? Obviously the lower the better, but what's the maximum mileage should you go for?
    and is diesel or petrol better?

and any other advice for buying a used car, let me know

thank you

ReputationRep:
    There are no absolutes when buying a used car.

Buy on condition of the car rather than age, mileage or brand reputation as at that budget how the car had been taken care of will matter more than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alfissti)

Buy on condition of the car rather than age, mileage or brand reputation as at that budget how the car had been taken care of will matter more than anything else.
    Oh cool thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Alfissti)

I agree.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Yeah definitely go for condition. I got a 2003 Reg Fiat Punto with only 32,000 miles for £500 . My dad (who works in the oil industry), says it's as good as any 2/3 year old car, as its in nearer enough perfect condition

NOTE: I got an extremely good deal for it due to the circumstances of the sellers.

ReputationRep:
    How about a 1976 Rolls? It'll be the best 60 miles of your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    How about a 1976 Rolls? It'll be the best 60 miles of your life.
    Link me. I have a hole burning in my pocket, and I can tell people I own a Rolls Royce. I can pretend i'm a Mafia man, then true-to-form die in a fireball when when the car sets fire.

A true captain goes down with his ship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystalyne)
    Link me. I have a hole burning in my pocket, and I can tell people I own a Rolls Royce. I can pretend i'm a Mafia man, then true-to-form die in a fireball when when the car sets fire.

A true captain goes down with his ship.
    Saw one at £1800 but a proper project car, falling to pieces. Literally. Had three wheels but I guess you could use a large stale pizza in an emergency.

Here's a Silver Spirit for under £4k though with electric windows, power steering, AC, auto gearbox and an MOT pass till next year.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...01604253316524

Picture that with a black/indigo pearlescent repaint with Every day I'm shufflin' inscribed in gold leaf across the back quarter panel, yours for just £6500.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.