Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Im extremely excited but also quite nervous about freshers week specifically as I dont go out too much and when i do its with a group of close friends. A couple of them have suggested coming to freshers with me to take some of the nerves off, my boyfriend is also eager to come as its a new thing for me and he wants to be there. Is it a good idea to bring anyone to freshers week? Does anyone do that? I would like them to come but in a way i dont want to make myself less approachable for other students and i also dont want to take all of the nerves away because thats what puts everyone on the same boat and makes it easier to spark conversation. Any advice? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea. It might make you more comfortable, but you're likely to end up spending your time with them. You should get to know people in your halls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SianLouise42)
    Hi
    Im extremely excited but also quite nervous about freshers week specifically as I dont go out too much and when i do its with a group of close friends. A couple of them have suggested coming to freshers with me to take some of the nerves off, my boyfriend is also eager to come as its a new thing for me and he wants to be there. Is it a good idea to bring anyone to freshers week? Does anyone do that? I would like them to come but in a way i dont want to make myself less approachable for other students and i also dont want to take all of the nerves away because thats what puts everyone on the same boat and makes it easier to spark conversation. Any advice? Thanks!
    Worst idea ever! It'll just put potential new friends off you and therefore you will struggle to make new friends. As a result you'll have a **** time at uni.*

Wait at least a month until you invite any home friends to uni, so you can properly settle into your new and improved life

ReputationRep:
    Not a good plan. You'll end up just talking to your friends, and new people won't talk to you because they're nervous and don't want to approach a group - as you pretty much said yourself. It sucks, but you'll get the best outcome and meet more people by making yourself as anxious as everyone else (seems a bit counterintuitive but there you go!).

Your friends are sweet to want to support you though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.