Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My belkin router is on the blink.

Whenever we fileshare (across a local network with server) the router crashes. I have upgraded the firmware and checked all local settings. The problem also occurs when watching vids on Joost.

Before you ask, the Wi-Fi isnt protected.

ReputationRep:
    Well you know yourself, first step before even fixing the thing is getting protection!

Just sounds like it can't handle the heavy bandwidth required for those activities. Try resetting it back to factory settings and try again, this will simply show you if it's a config' problem or the hardware itself. If this doesn't work contact the manufacture or who ever you bought it from to get a replacement (within the warranty period) if it's new, as it shouldn't be that unstable. If it's old (1+ year) then you're going to have to except the fact that some just don't last long and you're going to have to buy a replacement.

ReputationRep:
    Ok... I will explain why no WEP or WPA first. Putting it simply, WEP isnt secure and not all pc's on the network handle WPA. Tried implementing MAC address filtering, but that prevents friends using it.

The router has a security log file, but that is of limited size. New router wad my diagnosis, but always looking to save money.

ReputationRep:
    Had nothing but trouble with our Belkin last year, failed so often it was just not funny.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.