karlbyron
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
ONBH
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Your grades meet the requirements of all the top firms. Your chances of getting a job with one of them however depend on more than your academic ability and so frankly whether your chances are good, ok or weak is anyone's guess.
Juneau
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As the above poster said your grades are only one part of the equation as it were. Your grades are very good however; you've got a high 2.i so I don't think there is anything to worry about in that regard. Out of curiosity though have you not done vac schemes/applied for TCs already as you've finished your degree?
karlbyron
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Juneau)
As the above poster said your grades are only one part of the equation as it were. Your grades are very good however; you've got a high 2.i so I don't think there is anything to worry about in that regard. Out of curiosity though have you not done vac schemes/applied for TCs already as you've finished your degree?
I've decided to do an MA first, i've only been interested in law in past 6 months or so but I will be applying to vac schemes when they open. What other factors do i need to show to law firms?
silence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
sorry to hijack this thread but i am wondering whether my results will be ok (not for MC firms specifically, also general firms in the tier below). i know that a solid 2:1 is not a problem as such; however, it's more my range of marks which concerns me.

first year saw 62, 67, 67, 72, 76 (av 68.5), yet second year saw 54, 58, 60, 67, 68, 74 (av. 63.5).

whilst i'm not that worried about the averages, will those two modules scoring 2:2s be significant enough to hinder any application processes (i.e. do they stick out like sore thumbs?) or will an overall view be taken?
ONBH
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unfortunately, marks are considered individually and so a wide range of scores can act against your interests. However, the overall effect on your application depend on what degree you studied and what modules you took. For example if you took a couple of quantitatively advanced modules in an otherwise more qualitative degree then you can normally explain low marks away easily if your mathematical skills are not strong.
silence
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
those low marks were in old english and generic transformations (a module which looks at how literature genre changes over time).

in many ways, those modules are a world away from the realm of law; then again, my whole degree is. that said, i will be trying to convince firms that my study of another discipline is relevant to a legal career (e.g. analytical skills, ability to construct arguments etc). if the 2:2s were in contract law and jurisprudence, i would be quite worried obviously. will the fact that they're significantly unvocational perhaps help them be overlooked that bit more?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (520)
46.93%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (345)
31.14%
I don't have an opinion (243)
21.93%

Watched Threads