Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are those things that are a cube shape? are they computers or are they just used to play PC games?

thanks, hope you know what i mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    What are those things that are a cube shape? are they computers or are they just used to play PC games?

thanks, hope you know what i mean.
    the game cube :confused:

ReputationRep:
    nope, i will give you a link to what im talking about

ReputationRep:
    is this it?
    Shuttle PC

ReputationRep:
    I think that they're just normal PCs - i.e. you can run windows

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that you mean small form factor pcs, such as Shuttles. They're fully functioning PCs and are pretty good- a good compromise between a PC and a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    yep thats what i mean, so whats so special about them? anyone here got one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    yep thats what i mean, so whats so special about them? anyone here got one?
    i think they just look cool and really small, no i aint got one..

ReputationRep:
    yes, they're special because they're small. I think you can get some with other entertainment stuff built in too - eg radio..

ReputationRep:
    they're usually used as a home entertainment system with volume knobs and lcd displays and ird remotes

ReputationRep:
    http://www.savastore.com/category.as...ktop+Computers

ReputationRep:
    Shuttle PCs are generally used becuase they're quiet (some have no fans at all), and can be put unobtrusivly in a living room or lounge. You can use them to power Hi-Fi's to play mp3's or to play movies on TV or a projector. Some people use them to power wireless networks in the home.

They're mostly for the enthusiast at the moment though ... awkward to upgrade and get working (if you build it yourself). You can still use them as a normal PC, but don't expect it to outperform a desktop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mighty)
    Shuttle PCs are generally used becuase they're quiet (some have no fans at all), and can be put unobtrusivly in a living room or lounge. You can use them to power Hi-Fi's to play mp3's or to play movies on TV or a projector. Some people use them to power wireless networks in the home.

They're mostly for the enthusiast at the moment though ... awkward to upgrade and get working (if you build it yourself). You can still use them as a normal PC, but don't expect it to outperform a desktop.
    I was thinking of getting a shuttle because they are silent but I have too many drives to make them suitable. I think I will just replace my PSU with a silent one, that will make a big different. It will still make a noise but won't sound like a vacumn cleaner.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Shuttle SN45G, which comes with an nForce 2 mobo. In it, I have got an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM, Maxtor 60GB AT133 2MB cache hard drive, NEC 2500A DVD-RW drive and GeForce FX5200 128MB graphics card. I'm still using the stock 200W PSU, which ain't any ordinary 200W PSU. It is equivalent of a normal ATX 350W PSU and can handle a Barton 3200+ with 2 hard drives and a Radeon 9800pro easily. I replaced the stock Sunon fan with a Noiseblocker S4 and it runs much quieter. I'm going to dremmel out the fan grill at the back soon to improve airflow. I usually get around 50C, which is quite normal for a Shuttle. I had to pay £140 for mine a few months ago though.

And it really isn't difficult to build. It's just as easy as an ATX case unless you have really massive bear-like hands. It can match many desktops in terms of performance as well. Many benchmarks have provided support for that.

ReputationRep:
    Try www.quietpc.com for quiet cooling - I'm pretty sure they do stuff for small-form pc's

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.