Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm applying for University this year for September 2017. I have been living with my amazing boyfriend for a year now. We have been together for three years and we are so deeply in love. He has already been to university and experienced it all, he's 25 and he obviously doesn't want me to move away from him - witch I don't either!!! I have been putting all my eggs in one basket (witch I know I shouldn't) and I hope to god I get into Leeds Beckett University (first choice). The only problem I have is my Maths qualification. A few universities accept Functional Skills Level 2 as a Maths qualification and luckily Beckett does and a few others I am applying for do too. The only problem is I now have to widen my university choices due to some NOT accepting Level 2 Functional Skills. My boyfriend said to me this morning that I am going to have to start looking further afield such as hull, Liverpool, Sheffield. I would commute but he says I would have to live there as traveling would start getting pricey. I just need some advice on my situation. I am going to apply for further afield just so I receive more options. I don't really want to live away and I don't want to live in halls. I will be a student nurse and my Degree is going to be extremely demanding. I just hope I get into Beckett, I have all the requirements up to press but I can't just focus on that one university, any advice??? X

ReputationRep:
    It isn't my life and I am not making the choice but all I would say is you have the rest of your very long life to be with this chap, but unless you are rich, you only have one shot at high education. If this chap truly loves you he will not make you compromise your one shot at uni over him. If he does then he is being selfish and immature.

You have some tough decisions ahead of you but I urge you to follow your head not your heart. You have many many years ahead of you to be in love and play happy families.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Isn't the issue that nursing can be quite competitive?

Make your application the best it can be, get what offers you cna and then make the choice.
    You either get Leeds Becket or you dont.
    Of not then you just ave to weigh the pros and cons of each option.

As involved as you are in your relatiionship, then its going to be a mistake if it is a distarction from the course.
    Why cnat you find somewhere midway where you and your bf can commute from?

You cna always live at whatever place it is during the week and go home at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Isn't the issue that nursing can be quite competitive?

Make your application the best it can be, get what offers you cna and then make the choice.
    You either get Leeds Becket or you dont.
    Of not then you just ave to weigh the pros and cons of each option.

As involved as you are in your relatiionship, then its going to be a mistake if it is a distarction from the course.
    Why cnat you find somewhere midway where you and your bf can commute from?

You cna always live at whatever place it is during the week and go home at the weekend.
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, nursing is very competitive but I'm not worried about that. I am going to apply for a range of different universities and cross that bridge when it gets here. I am in a long happy relationship yes, and I believe that I would be very unsettled living away. Not just because of my relationship but being away from family too. I'm pretty much a homely girl - if that makes any sense. I like being around my other half and with family a lot of the time. However, I could move away and come back at weekends but with me doing a nursing degree I could be on placements a lot of the weekends. (Any student nurses in a similar situation please send your advice and experiences my way!)

I think I would be perfectly happy commuting. But journeys of 1-2 hours may make me late on a morning, I have to think about traffic and obstructions also. My boyfriend owns his own home so I wouldn't expect him to come live with me at University when he has his own mortgage to pay and his own home to live in - but I would be very happy commuting home every weekend, I just know that I wouldn't have every weekend spare to go home.
    Hard situation and I'm a little stuck. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It isn't my life and I am not making the choice but all I would say is you have the rest of your very long life to be with this chap, but unless you are rich, you only have one shot at high education. If this chap truly loves you he will not make you compromise your one shot at uni over him. If he does then he is being selfish and immature.

You have some tough decisions ahead of you but I urge you to follow your head not your heart. You have many many years ahead of you to be in love and play happy families.
    Hi there, thank for you reply.

No way would my other half stop me from getting the best education I possibly could. He has been the one who has pushed and pushed me to go to University to become a Nurse because he knows it is what I LOVE! He wouldn't ever stop me from doing anything I want to do. I believe that it is more me, I'm so scared to move away from home. I don't want to be on my own. But it's very difficult because I have lived with my partner for a year now. Bearing in mind we have been together for three years. I know I am still very young and have my life ahead of me, I'm just stuck and don't really know which direction to go :/
    Thanks for you advice. x
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Sophietx)
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, nursing is very competitive but I'm not worried about that. I am going to apply for a range of different universities and cross that bridge when it gets here. I am in a long happy relationship yes, and I believe that I would be very unsettled living away. Not just because of my relationship but being away from family too. I'm pretty much a homely girl - if that makes any sense. I like being around my other half and with family a lot of the time. However, I could move away and come back at weekends but with me doing a nursing degree I could be on placements a lot of the weekends. (Any student nurses in a similar situation please send your advice and experiences my way!)

I think I would be perfectly happy commuting. But journeys of 1-2 hours may make me late on a morning, I have to think about traffic and obstructions also. My boyfriend owns his own home so I wouldn't expect him to come live with me at University when he has his own mortgage to pay and his own home to live in - but I would be very happy commuting home every weekend, I just know that I wouldn't have every weekend spare to go home.
    Hard situation and I'm a little stuck. x
    I think you are making it more of an issue than it is.
    You always have the option if you dont get in the first time, then you cna reapply.
    You cna commute to Sheffield relatively easily. Plenty of people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophietx)
    Hi there, thank for you reply.

No way would my other half stop me from getting the best education I possibly could. He has been the one who has pushed and pushed me to go to University to become a Nurse because he knows it is what I LOVE! He wouldn't ever stop me from doing anything I want to do. I believe that it is more me, I'm so scared to move away from home. I don't want to be on my own. But it's very difficult because I have lived with my partner for a year now. Bearing in mind we have been together for three years. I know I am still very young and have my life ahead of me, I'm just stuck and don't really know which direction to go :/
    Thanks for you advice. x
    Cool - it sounds like you both have your heads screwed on. Living away will be hard but it isn't forever and if you go about it with an open mind you will be able to take advantages of opportunities you may be presented with. The other option is to defer for a year and get your maths up to scratch so that you can stay local. Just a thought.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Cool - it sounds like you both have your heads screwed on. Living away will be hard but it isn't forever and if you go about it with an open mind you will be able to take advantages of opportunities you may be presented with. The other option is to defer for a year and get your maths up to scratch so that you can stay local. Just a thought.

Good luck!

Yes, we do. I have done lots of research today and found more Universities that accept my level of maths :-) Just a matter of applying and witch ever one offers me anything then I'll accept. I have a lot of experience and the correct requirements with other grades expect maths. I think I'll be ok :-) Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.