Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i finished my first year of A levels, and i want to do veterinary medicine but i didnt realise how competitive it was and i know i wont get decent grades plus i have minimal work experience, and i really want to just resit AS chem bio maths in a different college to make sure that id get the best predicted grades possible, but ive heard that for courses such as Veterinary Medicine, dont accept AS/A-level retakes? If so im absolutely lost in what im even doing anymore.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Historically it's never been a problem. I know several people doing vetmed now that took a third year of college to get the grades they needed. You need to check with universities individually, as some may have conditions for retaking such as getting a minimum grade on the first attempt, but as far as I know that's for A2 resits anyway. Double check in case it's changed since the new A level system has come in, but I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Bump!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraKuza)
    So i finished my first year of A levels, and i want to do veterinary medicine but i didnt realise how competitive it was and i know i wont get decent grades plus i have minimal work experience, and i really want to just resit AS chem bio maths in a different college to make sure that id get the best predicted grades possible, but ive heard that for courses such as Veterinary Medicine, dont accept AS/A-level retakes? If so im absolutely lost in what im even doing anymore.
    Lots of the vets schools now accept retakes, I honk the general rule is that as long as you get the required grade, an A upon the second sitting you are good to go.
    The thing that I've noticed effects resits is your GCSEs, I think as long as you have the minimum with those then your resits shouldn't be a problem. But even then, some vet schools will make exceptions if you have mitigating circumstances. Surreys admissions policy at the moment states that resits are accepted.

You need to think what will make the best application though, so for example resit the AS grades and apply the following year with your A grades and some nice predictions.
    Or wait and apply with your final a levels.
    Either of these options would provide you with more time in regards to work experience.
    As you have to have completed the minimum requirements by the application deadline of October.

Lots of people get into vetmed with a slightly wobbly alevel history. I think lots of the vet schools accept that whilst academics is essential to being a vet, there are a lot of other equally essential qualities that make a good vet, and these don't nessessarily come hand in hand with perfect grades!
    Not sure if this was helpful, but hope is not lost!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am living tetstement that you can get into vet school having done AS resits. In my AS levels I got BCEE, so dropped Physics and resat my AS chemsitry in second year alongside my A2 bio & geograph, and then did A2 chem in third year. The only places that are funny with reapplicants in my experience have been Edinburgh and Cambridge, but you're still left with a choice of 6 other vet schools to choose from.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.