Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate English as a subject so bad. I had to take it this year (5th year) because the columns sucked so bad and I had very limited choice. We have the opportunity to change our choices again once the results come out and I'm strongly debating whether I should just go for it and drop higher English even though there isn't really anything else that I need in the same column. I'm planning on doing physics at uni, and higher English is not an entry requirement, only a N5 at grade C is required and I'm sure I've managed that. However most people I've talked to about this reacted as though I'm out of my mind for thinking about dropping it when physics involves plenty of reports etc. I'm also aware that, as per some people, uni's will give slight preference to higher English over N5 regardless of whether it's a requirement for your chosen course. If I'm dropping it, I need to decide by the time the results are out, and I'm worried about making the wrong decision. I understand higher English will be beneficial but in my opinion, I feel as though there is so much useless stuff that's thrown at you, especially for what I plan on doing anyway. It also puts so much stress on me and requires so much effort and work. I'm not trying to take the easy route by dropping English because I find that it takes a lot of effort and work, it's not that, I just aren't keen on wasting so much time on something that I find gives me very little this year. By dropping English, I won't be turning back to the literacy skills I'll need for the course I want to do, I'm thinking of focusing on and getting help with only the skills I actually need by myself. So what do you guys think? Don't let me be dumb.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'd say dropping higher English is a pretty good idea; I was in a similar situation to you and I decided to drop it and I managed to get a conditional offer for physics without any problem. I've also heard from a few friends that higher English took up too much of their time with constant essays and reading etc. so I wouldn't recommend taking it unless the course you're applying to requires it (which physics does not). It's as you said - you'd probably save yourself a lot of time and stress without having to worry about higher English, and the general literacy skills required for physics can be easily developed without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RW1872)
    Nah I'd say dropping higher English is a pretty good idea; I was in a similar situation to you and I decided to drop it and I managed to get a conditional offer for physics without any problem. I've also heard from a few friends that higher English took up too much of their time with constant essays and reading etc. so I wouldn't recommend taking it unless the course you're applying to requires it (which physics does not). It's as you said - you'd probably save yourself a lot of time and stress without having to worry about higher English, and the general literacy skills required for physics can be easily developed without it.
    Damn it's great to have someone be supportive of this. Thank you. Congrats on your offer btw. My school isn't willing to do anything to adjust the columns, so my only other options are business which I've never done and music which I did at N5. Music seems like the easiest choice since I did it last year and also enjoy it but I'm worried it'll look useless or too easy?

ReputationRep:
    Well I can't speak for everyone, but one of my mates got accepted into an engineering course (which are usually pretty competitive) and he had drama as a subject so I don't think they pay too much attention to that kind of thing as long as you meet the requirements. Besides, doing subjects that you find easier gives you a better chance of getting more As & Bs which is probably one of the most important things they look at when deciding between applicants - I don't think they'd ever choose someone who got worse grades than you simply because they thought music was too easy haha. Just don't go overboard with something like drama, music & art and it should be fine lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.