2.2 - should I do a Masters to get onto the BVC? Watch

SARAHB1986
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi all

I got my results last wk and I got a 2.2 in Law. However, I still have my heart set on becoming a barrister. I'm just ask for people's opinions on whether or not it's worth doing a Masters degree to aid my application for the BVC and subsequent pupillage apps... Or would it just be a waste of money as BVC providers and employers only look at the Bachelors degree?

Thanks.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
You are going to be at a great disadvantage with a 2.2 with or without a masters.
vv2006
Report 11 years ago
I suggest you be realistic and consider other options such as working in a firm and gaining experience as even with or without a masters your application will be pants.
Simon Myerson QC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't do it. See here
http://pupillageandhowtogetit.blogspot.com/
Sorry.
Chris_101
Report 11 years ago
I agree with what others have said. Even if you do manage to get onto the BVC your chances of getting a pupillage are between minimal and none. Its hard enough with a 2:1 or even a 1st. Unfortunately you have to be realistic about these things. Sorry.
LuverlyLawyer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree with what has been said. Sorry
The Regend
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ditto. I'm sorry, but the legal profession is VERY tough. I wouldn't recommend doing a Masters, but there is definitely the odd chance that a firm might spot your potential and want to hire you. What I would say is still apply to firms showing all your strengths, and any reasons why your grade might have been at a 2:2. Sometimes they will be willing to take a punt - especially some of the smaller firms where if you can get enough experience with them, it is possible to move in to some of the larger ones later.

Good luck
chalks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by The Regend)
Ditto. I'm sorry, but the legal profession is VERY tough. I wouldn't recommend doing a Masters, but there is definitely the odd chance that a firm might spot your potential and want to hire you. What I would say is still apply to firms showing all your strengths, and any reasons why your grade might have been at a 2:2. Sometimes they will be willing to take a punt - especially some of the smaller firms where if you can get enough experience with them, it is possible to move in to some of the larger ones later.

Good luck
The OP is talking about going to the Bar, not becoming a solicitor.
Kerrigan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by chalks)
The OP is talking about going to the Bar, not becoming a solicitor.
Yes. Getting pupillage is tougher than finding a training contract. I don't think anyone would do the OP favours if they advised them to go for it or live their dream in this case. To the OP, if you are very wealthy and won't need to worry about getting a job to pay the bills, you could pursue this path if it is what you really want, but if you are amongst the 99% who need to work to live then you are probably on a hiding to nothing here. That's not a nice thing to hear but the chances are that you would finish the Masters and BVC more in debt and get nowhere with it. A 2:2 isn't good enough for the Bar any more and it makes life very difficult for getting a training contract. A Masters will not help that. Even if the 2:2 was from Oxford or Cambridge and you then did, say, the BCL, you are still competing against people who have Firsts overall and across most or all of their subjects. There is no reason for any chambers to take you ahead of those people, and they quite frankly will not do so.

If you want to be a lawyer and you enjoy advocacy you can beef up your CV and try to get a training contract (also tough but not as tough as pupillage) and look at advocacy possibilities later on down the line.
Alan Smithee
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hopes dashed on an internet forum...what a shame.
Lush Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You could get a pupillage with a 2.2. It will be difficult, but if you do everything else in your power to max out your CV with unique stuff and good Bar related stuff...then you can always try. Also I recommend inventing a reason for getting a 2.2. I'm not dissing your 2.2 it's still a good degree, just say you had 'personal issues' or whatever innit.
AdamTJ
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RR)
You could get a pupillage with a 2.2. It will be difficult, but if you do everything else in your power to max out your CV with unique stuff and good Bar related stuff...then you can always try. Also I recommend inventing a reason for getting a 2.2. I'm not dissing your 2.2 it's still a good degree, just say you had 'personal issues' or whatever innit.
That is some of the worst and most irresponsible advice I've seen.
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh shut up. I was just trying to convey that it could be possible with a 2.2. Extremely difficult, but it does happen.
AdamTJ
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RR)
Oh shut up. I was just trying to convey that it could be possible with a 2.2. Extremely difficult, but it does happen.
Mate- even Mr Myerson is telling her not to bother. And the "make up some sort of extenuating circumstance for your 2:2" is just *******s!
Kerrigan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I too think it would be wise to heed the advice of Simon Myerson QC in this case.
Leo_T
Report 11 years ago
I do know of someone with a 2.2 who has been very successful with OLPAS applications this season - however he/she has done *exceptionally* well on the BVC - I think achieving 'outstanding' in every subject. I should add that I believe that they are also an Oxbridge graduate and have very good A Levels.

Nonetheless I would point out that this is very much the exception to the rule and most chambers specify a minimum degree requirement of 2.1.

My experience is that pupillage is extremely hard to obtain even with top academic results. I would strongly caution against a Masters - I think it unlikely that this will be sufficient to get round the minimum requirement of a 2.1. Do a Masters for academic interest, but don't do it if you are simply looking to improve your CV - I think this would be a waste of your time and money.

If you're really keen to be an advocate your best bet would be to qualify as a solicitor and either become a solicitor advocate or come to the bar later in your career - I'm sure this is still a very difficult path, but perhaps has better prospects for success than going straight to the bar.

Good luck.
SARAHB1986
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanx for all the comments everyone. I'm thinking that a more realistic approach might be the LPC...
eddie ed
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my dear don't let ya hopes get dashed down on here, my sisters husband graduated with a 2.2 in law at oxford brookes, hr thought hope was lost, though in uni he did extra curricular activities which i belived was beneficial a lot, he was still able to get on BVC course, n got a pupilage, and tenancy, he's been a barrister for 4 years now, thought it took him 2 years before he got the pupilage..so don't listen to what ova ppl are saying, as long as u got the cash go for it.
resipsaloq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by eddie ed)
my dear don't let ya hopes get dashed down on here, my sisters husband graduated with a 2.2 in law at oxford brookes, hr thought hope was lost, though in uni he did extra curricular activities which i belived was beneficial a lot, he was still able to get on BVC course, n got a pupilage, and tenancy, he's been a barrister for 4 years now, thought it took him 2 years before he got the pupilage..so don't listen to what ova ppl are saying, as long as u got the cash go for it.
Not bad.
Kessler`
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
First of all, no need to resurrect this thread (although I'm conscious that by replying I'm aiding in this )

Secondly...I wonder if people like the above poster "eddie ed" are paid commission by the BPP/College of Law. I hope it's a pretty good percentage of £17,000!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (448)
46.86%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (293)
30.65%
I don't have an opinion (215)
22.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise