Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I am currently in my last year of pharmacy (Pharm.D, a 4 years program). I live and study in a francophone university in Quebec, Canada. I am not an EU citizen.
    I am interested in applying to UK medical schools but I don't know where to start. I am familiar with the UCAS website but I am looking for someone in a similar situation who could help me. Do any of you know of a foreign medical student who could tell me about his own experience? Please, any help would be appreciated.

I would also like to know about my chances of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodpokemon)
    Hi everyone!
    I am currently in my last year of pharmacy (Pharm.D, a 4 years program). I live and study in a francophone university in Quebec, Canada. I am not an EU citizen.
    I am interested in applying to UK medical schools but I don't know where to start. I am familiar with the UCAS website but I am looking for someone in a similar situation who could help me. Do any of you know of a foreign medical student who could tell me about his own experience? Please, any help would be appreciated.

I would also like to know about my chances of getting in.
    Hi there,
    My experiences are 5 years old so I can only give you general information (things changed - e.g. minimum grades for admission etc).

Your chances:
    Better than in Canada, because there are less applicants for places, and you can apply to different universities on the basis on your strengths (academic results, EC, entrance test, Personal Statement). You must have good grades but GPA is not the king.

Programs:
    With a degree in pharmacy, you can apply to 4-year graduate entry program (GEP), but not all universities have this program, and not all accept international students to GEP. Also, it is generally harder to get into GEP. Your other option is 5-year or 6-year programs for high school grads. There are many college grads and mature students in those programs too.
    St. Andrew Med School has the largest 6-year program for international students. many Canadians study there. This is somehow different program, you apply directly not through UCAS - at least it was the procedure for several years, check on their website. Others schools each have several places for international students, but there are restrictions on the numbers of places. so check it out.
    St. George's University of London has unique program for international students called INTO, designed for North American students. They offer both 4 -year program for college grads and 6-year program for high school grads. Some clinicals in the upper years are in US, and they help to prepare for USMLE. I heard that this program was somewhat struggling in organizing things in US, but it is about 5 years old so it could have matured. Just google it, and all info is there.

General requirements
    Most universities (except of four I believe) have requirements for entrance test, either BMAT or UKCAT. BMAT is somewhat similar to MCAT, UKCAT is not (again, goggle them for info). Some GEP programs require GAMSAT. Those schools that have no entrance test require stellar grades.
    Besides academics and entrance test, Personal Statement is very important. You need to reflect on your motivation to study medicine, your work experience and life experience. You'll find lots of info on this forum and you can have your PS reviewed by PS helpers. "Work experience" is also important. It has specific meaning in UK, your years of summer employment are not sufficient if you don't have work experience in health care environment. You should look for opportunities to shadow health care professionals, volunteer in hospital etc. You need to understand from your work experience what medicine entails, and reflect on it in your PS. Some schools will ask your detailed records of your work experience, others will place less emphasis on it. You can capitalize on your EC if they give you desired experience such as leadership, team work etc. Also important is your academic reference.
    Interview - some schools will invite you on the basis of specific criteria (e.g. UKCAT score), others will base invitation on the combination of grades and PS, with no regards for UKCAT. it varies greatly, that's why information about specific university requirements is so important (e.g. if you have low UKCAT, do not apply to school with high UKCAT cut off). Interviews are either traditional or MMI.

Where to look for specific information:
    UCAS website is not much help. You can seek information on this forum, especially how and where apply to your strengths.
    Once you have some ideas where you would want to go and where are your best chances to be accepted, check university websites, international students section for admission criteria. Some will have better information than others, so if you are not sure about some details or you need more info, email Admissions directly.

Last but not the least, I assume you are aware about associated cost (high fees for international students) and also about the ordeal of coming back to Canada as IMG.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.