Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad if a fly lands on your food? Watch

A fly landed on my food the other day and my mum made me eat it anyway, flies are filthy obviously so I'm a bit worried, am I going to get sick?

ReputationRep:
    You might do.

Don't eat food that flies sit on...flies are disgusting. They roam on bits of poo and other waste.

ReputationRep:
    My brother started to have a hissy fit and refused to eat his dinner after a fly landed on it

If it was me i would have refused, but it really depends, some people are immune so it won't affect them, nevertheless, the whole situation is not a big deal.

If it was like 2 days ago and nothing's happened do you reckon I'd be okay by now? I'm scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A fly landed on my food the other day and my mum made me eat it anyway, flies are filthy obviously so I'm a bit worried, am I going to get sick?
    What kind of fly was it? If it was a big dirty black housefly I would have just separated the part of the food it landed on from the rest and chucked it

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of flies, if it's like a bluebottle fly then they nest their babies in actual **** so... yeah they are something to be concerned about. If it was like a small fruit fly or something chances are it won't cause too much harm but in general keep flies and other crap away from your food.

(Original post by AngryRedhead)
    What kind of fly was it? If it was a big dirty black housefly I would have just separated the part of the food it landed on from the rest and chucked it
    It wasn't very big, not like a massive buzzing bluebottle, just a slightly smaller one that had been flying around the house for a good few days. I didn't eat the part that I definitely saw it land on, but after I wafted it away I walked out of the room for a couple of minutes before coming back and putting clingfilm over the plate. So I don't know if it landed anywhere else on it.

ReputationRep:
    It can be. They land on feces. So it's really gross, and you could get sick... but if you haven't gotten sick yet, then you were probably lucky this time.

In general, though, it's not sanitary, and arguably your mother is encouraging you to do something harmful to yourself by eating food with bugs on it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be fine X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It wasn't very big, not like a massive buzzing bluebottle, just a slightly smaller one that had been flying around the house for a good few days. I didn't eat the part that I definitely saw it land on, but after I wafted it away I walked out of the room for a couple of minutes before coming back and putting clingfilm over the plate. So I don't know if it landed anywhere else on it.
    Meh, I wouldn't worry about it. If you haven't gotten sick yet as other people have said there's nothing wrong. In future though please try to keep food covered up and kill any flies that come in the kitchen

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.