Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the 30th of June my boyfriend and I moved into our second student house. There were a lot of problems that day. The night before, the lettings agent's brother suddenly died, so she sent someone else and he brought the wrong key etc etc. We found out that day the oven's themostat was broken and so we can't use the oven. But it wasn't until last Tuesday we cold tell the letings agent as she doesn't work on Mondays or Thursdays.

The last occupants never mentioned the problem, and obviously it wasn't checked when she cleaned the house. All she really said to us was "oh, do you like to cook a lot then?" Well yes we do like to eat every now and then thanks. It's been a week now and she keep saying it's getting sorted, there might be a replacement or it might be fixed. We've had to have 3 takeaways in a week because there's only so much food we can have raw or cook on the hob.

It's getting annoying now, the contract says the landlord will "keep in repair and proper working order the installations at the property for the supply of water, gas and electricity" which I'm guessing the oven counts as.

So what can we do? I know when she comes round next we have to give her the rent for the past 2 weeks, but I'm not happy giving her it all thanks to the oven problems and the takeaways we've had to buy.

ReputationRep:
    You have to write a letter. I know you have mentioned it to her on the phone but you have to write a letter that is polite, to the point, explaining the problem and saying so far you are not happy with the service. Date it as well

Make a copy of the letter as well

I find lettings agents, estate agents and the general ******** public respond pretty quickly to letters

My landlord certainly did

ReputationRep:
    Tomorrow she should respond to my boyfriend contacting her again hopefully. It's just a pain because every time he speaks to her she says she's sorting it, but my last landlords would not have let us go a week without a working oven. I have spent the past week eating nothing but rice, pasta and noodles, thank goodness the hob's working!
    If it's not sorted this week we'll write a letter to the landlord, he seems to not really do anything but have the rent money sent to him.

ReputationRep:
    write a letter to the agent and cc the landlord in

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.