Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start uni in Sept 2017 in the UK (I'm from Hungary) and I'd like to ask you to recommend some unis to study IR. I would prefer to study in London but I'm considering the country as well.
    Bonus question: are the rankings useful and show the differences in quality of the unis? (i.e is Queen Mary so much better than Westminster as it is around 35th and Westminster is around 100th)
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akalamago)
    I'm going to start uni in Sept 2017 in the UK (I'm from Hungary) and I'd like to ask you to recommend some unis to study IR. I would prefer to study in London but I'm considering the country as well.
    Bonus question: are the rankings useful and show the differences in quality of the unis? (i.e is Queen Mary so much better than Westminster as it is around 35th and Westminster is around 100th)
    Thanks in advance
    Choosing a university is a very individual thing- people have different opinions about the same university. When choosing a university, you need to take into account entry requirements, course content, facilities and location. Overall LSE, St Andrews and Aberyswyth are regarded highly for International Relations, however they may not suit you- LSE and St Andrews have top entry requirements, St Andrews is in remote northern Scotland and Aberyswyth in rural Wales.

The lower ranked universities are certainly seen to be of a worse quality than the higher ranked ones, but you can't be 100% sure as most people only have the experience of one to go off. That said Queen Mary is definitley considered better than Westminster and of the other London Unis, LSE as I mentioned is a good one but v competitive to get into, and SOAS if you like an Oriental/African focus, then
    London Met, UEL, South Bank are generally considered ones to avoid, whilst Brunel is considered mediocre- better for science/technology/engineering and UCL doesn't offer straight IR as far as I'm aware.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.