Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

So I graduated from Northumbria University last year with a BA(Hons) in Architecture. I have now nearly done a years work experience in a practice...and I have a place at Bristol UWE for September 2017 to go and do Part 2 (taking a gap year).

I just don’t know whether I have the motivation to go back to university and do another two years, and then another year to complete part 3. Also costs to go back to university and study are so expensive, plus living costs etc – my debt is going to be absolutely huge!

My year of work has been OK, I enjoy some parts of the work like designing and using sketchup, rendering images etc, but then doing things like drainage plans, roof details, all the technical stuff I absolutely hate. I’ve been thinking of what other career options I have with my degree and looked into interior design?

Do I go back and do part 2, or there’s another option where I would not go back to Uni and instead do a two year grad scheme for someone like the Berkely Group, which would give me a wide set of skills and start me off on a decent salary. ? I thought Architecture was well paid but it turns out, it’s not at all...

Very confused as what to do and if anyone has any experience/advice feel free to help me

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Have you ever thought about doing some freelance work?? Sorry I can't be anymore of a help as I do not know anything about Architect! :L

ReputationRep:
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me...po1_r1_250.gif

Is all I have to offer.

ReputationRep:
    I have a tingling feeling that most 'architechts' leave university disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMilkSheikh)
    I have a tingling feeling that most 'architechts' leave university disappointed.
    That is not helpful at all haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issydziuba)
    That is not helpful at all haha.
    Maybe it is? Maybe you'll be happier leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issydziuba)
    Hi everyone!

So I graduated from Northumbria University last year with a BA(Hons) in Architecture. I have now nearly done a years work experience in a practice...and I have a place at Bristol UWE for September 2017 to go and do Part 2 (taking a gap year).

I just don’t know whether I have the motivation to go back to university and do another two years, and then another year to complete part 3. Also costs to go back to university and study are so expensive, plus living costs etc – my debt is going to be absolutely huge!

My year of work has been OK, I enjoy some parts of the work like designing and using sketchup, rendering images etc, but then doing things like drainage plans, roof details, all the technical stuff I absolutely hate. I’ve been thinking of what other career options I have with my degree and looked into interior design?

Do I go back and do part 2, or there’s another option where I would not go back to Uni and instead do a two year grad scheme for someone like the Berkely Group, which would give me a wide set of skills and start me off on a decent salary. ? I thought Architecture was well paid but it turns out, it’s not at all...

Very confused as what to do and if anyone has any experience/advice feel free to help me

Thankyou
    Hi Issy

I'm not sure how you got to this point without realising architecture was not well paid, did you think the tutors were joking?!

You say you are confused, but I'm not sure The Student Room is the place to find the answer! Think about what motivates you? You said you hated the technical side of practice, so, to put it bluntly, the pay didn't compensate you for the dull stuff. Will more pay (plus company car, health insurance, etc.) working for a developer make it acceptable? If money motivates you (& I don't mean that judgementally - there are lots of people who see work as a means to an end and are happy to leave their work at work when they go home at night) then take the grad scheme.

But you also suggest it was the creative side of practice that has kept you going. Milksheik is right (albeit facetious!), architecture graduates are the least happy, because of the discrepancy between their education and the day to day experience of most practice. (As a rule of thumb, the more you are creatively fulfilled personally, generally the less you can expect to get paid...) However, architecture can be seen as a broad general arts degree, not just an exemption from the RIBA exams.

If you're not sure about architecture, then you shouldn't go back... Yet. But you could ask to defer your place at UWE for a year and try to get another part I architectural assistant position at a different type of practice. In a smaller practice you will get experience at all work stages. In a large practice you will probably only see part of a project but you will be working on different sorts of projects as part of a team. Now you have a year's experience, you might be given more responsibility?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.