Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to sit A-Levels independently? Maths + Physics watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

I'm a recent languages graduate with A-Levels in English Lang&Lit, Classics, Spanish, Italian and Extended Project. I would like to study computing (or similar e.g. business informatics etc.) as part of a degree apprenticeship, but I lack the appropriate A-Levels, namely maths. Moreover, I would like to apply for degree apprenticeships in Germany too, for which a science at A-Level is necessary, so I'd choose physics, seeing that it equips you with a good analytical framework and greater maths skills.

I had a (very friendly) phone call with the NEC (National Extension College) the other day and, in short, for around £2,500 (tuition + learning material + examination fees) I could sit Maths and Physics at a centre right in my home town, learning over the course of one year. One advantage is that they were also willing to give me formal predicted grades and an academic reference after completing a few assignments with one of their tutors; this would already give me some solid evidence to point at in my applications to companies for degree apprenticeships.

Does anyone have any experience with the NEC? Or any other suggestions for sitting my exams independently such as other schools etc.? I'd be quite anxious about sitting them entirely alone, without even a study partner and let alone without a tutor, but then on the other hand I'm a bit dubious as regards distance learning and online materials etc. I think £2,500 is probably definitely more than it's worth, but I would be willing to make the investment if it makes the whole process a little easier.

I'm very strapped for time at the moment. If somebody could just chip in with their thoughts for a few minutes it'd save me hours and hours of inconclusive research!

A huge thanks in advance,
    Simon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter.levi)
    Hello there!

I'm a recent languages graduate with A-Levels in English Lang&Lit, Classics, Spanish, Italian and Extended Project. I would like to study computing (or similar e.g. business informatics etc.) as part of a degree apprenticeship, but I lack the appropriate A-Levels, namely maths. Moreover, I would like to apply for degree apprenticeships in Germany too, for which a science at A-Level is necessary, so I'd choose physics, seeing that it equips you with a good analytical framework and greater maths skills.

I had a (very friendly) phone call with the NEC (National Extension College) the other day and, in short, for around £2,500 (tuition + learning material + examination fees) I could sit Maths and Physics at a centre right in my home town, learning over the course of one year. One advantage is that they were also willing to give me formal predicted grades and an academic reference after completing a few assignments with one of their tutors; this would already give me some solid evidence to point at in my applications to companies for degree apprenticeships.

Does anyone have any experience with the NEC? Or any other suggestions for sitting my exams independently such as other schools etc.? I'd be quite anxious about sitting them entirely alone, without even a study partner and let alone without a tutor, but then on the other hand I'm a bit dubious as regards distance learning and online materials etc. I think £2,500 is probably definitely more than it's worth, but I would be willing to make the investment if it makes the whole process a little easier.

I'm very strapped for time at the moment. If somebody could just chip in with their thoughts for a few minutes it'd save me hours and hours of inconclusive research!

A huge thanks in advance,
    Simon
    If you're learning both full A-levels for 2.5k its not bad tbh. But of course the cheaper option is get the books yourself + forums + possibly private tutoring. I have no experience with NEC but maths A-level is probably one of the easiest ones to self-teach once you get the ball rolling. There's also plenty of students on here.

The references might be the killer though. It's good that you'll be able to get them.

I've been thinking about getting in this private tutoring business myself

Also, Physics A-level hardly has any maths in it beyond what is essentially GCSE rearranging.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.