Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I know that they're illegal. But, in wiki, it says:

The curses are so named because their use is - except by Ministry of Magic authorisation - forbidden and literally unforgivable in the Wizarding World. Use of any of these spells on any human being can carry a life-sentence in the magical wizard's prison of Azkaban. These curses are thus very rarely used openly. Since the spells are very powerful, their use requires a strong desire to bring about the effects, a directed will, and great skill.
    Does this mean we could see Harry and the Order being allowed to use them when fighting Death Eaters? And would they?

ReputationRep:
    Well the Order have used them before in catching Death Eaters, even in Half-Blood Prince a Death Eater (Gibbons) was killed. Harry has already tried using the Cruciatus curse on Bellatrix and Snape (correct me if I'm wrong ) and they failed as he did not use it properly. Nonetheless in the final battle between Voldemort I suppose Harry will have to use Avada Kedavra

ReputationRep:
    Conisdering its wikipedia that can be editted by anyone, I would like to see the source of that information.

The only thing I can think of is a reference in OoP where its said that during Voldemorts previous rein, the Aurors were given new powers, which to me ment the unforgivables.

ReputationRep:
    Crouch Snr used the unforgivables against death eaters didnt he? And Im sure if ordinary memebers of the wizarding world (i mean, not part of the order/not an auror/not part of the ministry) had used Avada Kedavra to kill a notorious death eater they wouldnt have been put in Azkaban....I dont really know.

I doubt Harry and the Order would use them unless absoultely necessary...Harry only attempted to use cruciatus curse in his rages after sirius and dumbledores death.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's wiki, but I think I've heard something like that before. Harry used them unpunished, but extraordinary circumstances, I suppose...

ReputationRep:
    I guess it makes sense that Aurors etc can use Unforgivables with permission. Almost like a warrant :cool:

Umbridge threatens to use Cruciatus on Harry and says that "What Fudge doesn't know can't hurt him" or something similar. Which I guess isn't exactly relevant, but there we are.

The Ministry can tell if a person is using magic... but not which one. So if the Order's using UF Curses on Death Eaters, how can the Ministry tell that it's not the Death Eaters themselves using the curses.

Same goes for Umbridge, threatening to use the Crucio on Harry. There's loads of people there. For all the Ministry know, it might me a demonstration of the curse on a small animal (as Crouch/Moody did on GoF).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Tuson)
    The Ministry can tell if a person is using magic... but not which one. So if the Order's using UF Curses on Death Eaters, how can the Ministry tell that it's not the Death Eaters themselves using the curses.
    The Ministry can tell what spells are being performed, like when Dobby used a levitating charm in book 2 in Harry's house the Ministry knew which charm was performed. They cant tell whom it was cast by though

ReputationRep:
    Which is why they did not believe Harry in the past. This is because they know the types of spells is cast and blame Harry as he is the only wizard in Little Whinging.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.