Turn on thread page Beta

Have I lost too much blood? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I went for a blood test yesterday and my period started today! I don't know how much blood is typically taken during a blood test and whether it's significant but I feel so so so terrible right now, more so than when I'm usually on my period. Does anyone know if the fact that I had a blood test on top of my period means I've lost a bit too much blood for my body to cope with? I feel so faint and sick, it's really bad. What can I do to feel better?

ReputationRep:
    The amount taken is probably a max of about 30mls, probably less than that. You lose less than that in your period, so no, I don't think you've lost anywhere near too much blood for your body to take (you can lose at least 15% before there are any physical signs). For some people the act of the blood test can make you feel a bit rough, especially if you're not keen on needles, but physiologically, there's no reason for you to be worried. Just eat something sugary and rest for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    The amount taken is probably a max of about 30mls, probably less than that. You lose less than that in your period, so no, I don't think you've lost anywhere near too much blood for your body to take (you can lose at least 15% before there are any physical signs). For some people the act of the blood test can make you feel a bit rough, especially if you're not keen on needles, but physiologically, there's no reason for you to be worried. Just eat something sugary and rest for a bit.

Yay, an excuse to eat biscuits My period seems a bit heavier than it normally is and it came a bit earlier, could this have anything to do with the blood test or is it a coincidence?

ReputationRep:
    You only lose about an eggcupful of fluid during your period, even less of that is actually blood.
    don't worry

ReputationRep:
    same happened to me as well snarf but I didn't feel anything different than usual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N_n_N)
    same happened to me as well snarf but I didn't feel anything different than usual

Ah, that's interesting. I guess it must just be an exceptionally bad period

ReputationRep:
    Hey, something else period related that just crossed my mind: is it normal to get heavier periods with age? I know that aged 35+ it's normal but is it normal for them to get heavier between the ages of like, 17 and 19?

ReputationRep:
    if you are a blood donor you give around 470ml....thats almost half a liter. I give blood and you feel fine after that so a blood test is only a fraction of what they can safely take..

ReputationRep:
    snarf, i assume it is different for everyone because not all start having periods on the exact day. but what i know is; the first 3-4 years are supposed to be fluctuating.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't worry- I have given blood on the heaviest day of my period. The little nurse people said it would be fine. Then our resident genius decided to walk into the middle of town- about half an hour, since clever clogs got lost(!) and I was still fine, if a little tired. Eat lots of buscuits. It's a good excuse!

ReputationRep:
    What the...? An eggcupful?! Should I be worried then, it gushes from me like Niagara Falls!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine I expect..the past 2 times Ive given blood I was on my period as well [stinking timing :hmpf:] I felt faint and woozy for a bit afterwards, buts cos im barely over the limit for weight.. So yeah, eat lots of biscuits and keep drinking. You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    just snuggle up in bed with a mug of hot chocolate (or whatever u prefer) and get a gd nights sleep.

ReputationRep:
    If there was a possibility that you may lose enough blood to make you ill by having a blood test coincide with a period, they'd have asked you if you were [due] on when they did it. You'll be fine. Have a sugary cup of tea and chill out.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, my internet turns off at 21:45 for the night so I haven't been replying. But thank you everyone, I did get a good night's sleep and ate some chocolate biscuits and I feel a lot better now Great advice!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.