Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I took OCR Computer Science last year and stopped enjoying it due to how it was taught mainly and also the poor lesson structuring, ultimately I decided to focus revising for my Alevel Mathematics instead and got an E in the CS exam, I changed the subject to business for year 13. However, I have yet to apply to university because I really have no clue what to study, part of me is saying to do accounting and finance because it works well wth my Maths and Business but another part is saying to do Computer Science because I know I'd enjoy it, but I'm worried I'll do badly at it at university having got an E at alevel... In addition to this, the E I have is putting me off applying because how can I justify that when applying for the same degree?? For maths I did Decision 1 as an additional module and I've heard that this could be particularly useful. My programming was pretty decent when I studied the subject and I definitely enjoyed it even when errors were made. Advice anyone???

ReputationRep:
    Computer science is not just programming. Look at different courses and check the specific modules. See if you would enjoy them or not. If it's programming that you find particularly interesting then try software development courses.

You could also do a joint mathematics and computer science course. In that case, if computer science isn't for you, you can gear towards more mathematics.

Keep in mind that some universities are more into theory while others prefer practical work so also check that when you're looking at the courses
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do you enjoy programming?The Open University has a selection over Computer Science, Computing and IT, Software Development, Computing with Maths/Business/Psychology.

Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I got a C at AS Level, dropped it at A2 and graduated with a first from uni in Computer Science.

Do it

ReputationRep:
    if u dont like programming stay the hell away from computer science

ReputationRep:
    Computer Science is a great subject! However you must identify why your A-level CS went so bad so you can be successful studying the subject at university. You say you enjoyed the programming but where did you stand on the theoretical side of your CS course?? Many universities offer a CS course which is an even split between programming and theory. If you prefer programming, I would recommend you applying to a course which contains more practical programming (software engineering for example). Look at the course structure to identify how much programming is involved. Hope this helps!

Not necessarily*

I didn't *do maths at a level and do economics

I actually like maths now, surprisingly*

As long as you are good at maths, I wouldn't worry.*

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the advice everyone, I'm going to apply for CS at uni ... I get the feeling I didn't do too well in one of my maths exams and am expecting a C maybe so if this is the case and I don't get into the universities I apply to I'm gonna have a gap year, resit the relevant maths exam and maybe revisit alevel computing even though I didn't enjoy it too much, just to see if I can improve that E grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatExamWas)
    Thanks a lot for the advice everyone, I'm going to apply for CS at uni ... I get the feeling I didn't do too well in one of my maths exams and am expecting a C maybe so if this is the case and I don't get into the universities I apply to I'm gonna have a gap year, resit the relevant maths exam and maybe revisit alevel computing even though I didn't enjoy it too much, just to see if I can improve that E grade
    Good choice, it's a great subject with good job prospects! A-level computing is just a huge memory game on the dense theory so i don't think it is a good measure of your computing ability! Good luck...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.