The Student Room Group

Joining the army and studying nursing at BCU?

Hello,
I've applied to join the army (waiting to be sent the medical questionnaire) and I'm hoping to be a student nurse within the army. The recruitment advisor told me that all student nurses study at Birmingham City University, so I looked at the course and the requirements for it. It said I need 300 UCAS points from A2 passes which must include one of the following: health and social care, biology, human biology, chemistry, physics, applied science, psychology or social science at Grade B.
The 300 UCAS points are attainable for me, but I don't take any of those subjects at A level! Will I still be able to attend this uni through the army or will I have todo something different?
Sorry for the long post, but thank you in advance :smile:
Thank you for your enquiry. Our academic entry requirements are the same for both civilian and military nursing students.

If you are not offering one of the required A/A2 subjects, then you would need to undertake further study in order to meet our minimum requirements. Depending on the grades you achieved, you could look at taking a single A/A2 in one of the subjects listed on our website: http://bcu.ac.uk/courses/nursing-adult#tab-Entry_Requirements

Alternatively, you could consider taking an Access to Higher Education Diploma qualification in a relevant subject such as Nursing, Midwifery or Health. We consider Access courses studied at local colleges, but also through distance learning providers. You can search for Access course providers via https://ava.accesstohe.ac.uk/SubSites/PublicSearch/Search.aspx

We would also consider the Open University module K101 - An Introduction to Health and Social Care, which we look at alongside your previous level 3 qualifications.

In addition to appropriate level 3 study, we would also look for GCSEs at grade C or above in English language, mathematics and science or equivalent qualifications. You would be welcome to visit us at one of our forthcoming open days to find out more about our course and meet with academic staff. Representatives from the military are usual present at our open day events. The next University open days will be taking place as follows:
Saturday 8th October 2016
Saturday 19th November 2016
Sunday 4th December 2016
Registration will open shortly, however, if you’re interested in attending either the October, November or December events, you can sign up to receive updates from us, including a newsletter relating to your chosen subject, information about open days and when registrations can be made and information about the wider University. You can sign up to receive this information at www.bcu.ac.uk/bcyou.
We hope this information is helpful to you. Please do not hesitate to contact a member of the Pre-entry Enquiries Team if you have any further questions. We can be contacted on 0121 331 5595.
Reply 2
I did an access to health studies at bournville college and that gave me all the UCAS points I needed, failing that call the army careers office and they may help you if you join with them before they enrol on the course? X

Quick Reply