Turn on thread page Beta

Blured text/slightly shakey - possible overheating? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought a new video card, ATI Radoen X1050 but now the text is quite blured and is sometimes shakey.

I assume it is overheating, what are my chances of getting a refund on this? I already had to take something back to the same shop today (DOA PSU).

What I am getting as it my card faulty or should I have known that it could not handle 1680 x 1050?

ReputationRep:
    Well first off, are you using a DVI or VGA connection?

1680x1050 is a bit hardcore for VGA, so any weaknesses in either the cable or the screens image processor will start to show.

Overheating graphics cards usually artifact, not blur.

ReputationRep:
    It worked fine in that resolution on my built in card though, Nvidia 6100. It is VGA (monitor was very cheap due to lack of DVI) but as I said it was perfectly clear on my old one.

The text is slightly ghosty, e.g it has a bit of a shadow on it.

ReputationRep:
    The output voltage levels are probably just a bit lower than your onboard, bringing out any interference your cable was getting before (especially given your high resolution).

ReputationRep:
    Is their any logical solution? Will a better card solve the problem? A better quality VGA cable?

ReputationRep:
    Test with your old one at the same resolution again; if its perfectly fine then the screen/cable/noise from the environment are fine and the card is just a bit weak, so the eaisiest way would be to just get a new card (if you have another lying around test with that)

You can allways use this card in a customers machine which has DVI

ReputationRep:
    Will probably just sell it on ebay .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 11, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.