The Student Room Group

How to choose between History and Classics

Hi,
I am writing my personal statement at the moment and I am torn between History and Classics. I have not done Latin or Ancient Greek due my school but I am self teaching myself and I have a vested interest in the subject. History is a subject I have always done and I really enjoy it but I cannot choose. PLEASE HELP
Hi :smile:

I was in the exact same boat as you last year and there is quite a few options. A few unis have history degrees with wide chronological scopes and some unis actually offer joint honours in both (if you really cant choose) or if you're going to pick, consider what you actually enjoy about the subjects.

If its the historical side of classics, then consider an ancient and modern history course that will allow you to do both. Even if thats the course you choose, you can still take optional modules (usually) from the more classical side of things (Eg on literature/religion/culture/language) and possibly even other sides of ancient history like the Egyptians ect. If you do enjoy the language, there are ancient and modern courses that offer the chance to study the history in the original language (when youre looking at historiography with herodotus/thucydides/xenophon ect)

However, if what you like about classics isnt learning the history but more the artsy and whole nature of the civilisations, classics is the way forward! Just remember how demanding the course can be because of the majority of course requiring the primary texts be studied in Greek/Latin. A big part of my decision to go for the more historical route is that i found courses were longer when you did not have the A levels in latin/greek. In terms of successful applications, even if you are studying the language yourself, going to a summer school in latin or greek can help your chances if classics is what you choose

My final advice is to read as much as possible - preferably the classical primary sources of all genres. If you enjoy these, you will enjoy classics. If you find yourself more interested in the history and events rather than poets/plays/linguistics/art, then maybe consider history

Hope this helped!
One is useless and the other is useless. There, case closed.
Original post by leiaorgana
Hi,
I am writing my personal statement at the moment and I am torn between History and Classics. I have not done Latin or Ancient Greek due my school but I am self teaching myself and I have a vested interest in the subject. History is a subject I have always done and I really enjoy it but I cannot choose. PLEASE HELP

If I were you, I would write about both subjects in your personal statement and then choose 5 unis. Between these unis, you should apply for Classics, History and then joint honors in both subjects. That way you have the best of both worlds.
e.g.ClassicsHistoryClassics and HistoryHistory with ClassicsHistory

Either way, or you could just pick all joints. Go to the uni you get placed with and throughout your first year see which one you like. If you still like both, carry on. If you prefer one over the other, simply drop it in semester 2, and pick up the appropriate modules. Just make sure you pick all the compulsory or alternative compulsory units for both subjects so they let you in on 2nd year if you decide to switch to a single hons degree.

Good luck! I hated Classics at uni! :wink: :flutter:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending