What are interviews like at Warwick ? Watch

This discussion is closed.
totalnatal
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi,

I would like to know what the interviews at Warwick are like,(if they have any...)

I know that for an interview at Cambridge you're supposed to know a lot about your subject as they will ask you questions but do they do that at Warwick?

I'm thinking of doing either :

Law and Business Studies or Accounting and Finance or Economics , Politics and International Study.

Thanks
Leachboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know if interviews are the same across the board, but I had a lovely one for English at Warwick. Started with a few talks from various important bods on my course, then a student led tour of the campus, then a very chilled out interview.

He just nattered about my personal statement for a bit until we found some common ground (Shakepseare, incedently), then he mildly quizzed me on that for half an hour.

As for exhaustive knowledge of your subject, I don't really think thats what interviews are about. A levels show that you can memorise and regurgitate vast amounts of knowledge. Interviews are more about showing that you have opinions and passion for your subject, rather then trying to catch you out on obscure trivia.

Of course, I would say they are good, as I got in. If I'd been rejected, I'd be in here *****ing about the shiteness of the uni. :rolleyes:
Sunnyt
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by totalnatal)
Hi,

I would like to know what the interviews at Warwick are like,(if they have any...)

I know that for an interview at Cambridge you're supposed to know a lot about your subject as they will ask you questions but do they do that at Warwick?

Law and Business Studies or Accounting and Finance or Economics , Politics and International Study.

Thanks
hey i had a interview for law it was so easy, just try an be really enthusiastic, they didnt want to know much about the law!, they asked me what my aspirtations were, why i applied to warwick, mention their contextual approach to the law! and state what things things interest u about the law, i mentioned how id like to do some pro bono work, bla bla mind u i blagged half of it, but then again im ace at blaggin
chud
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mine was VERY relaxed and extremely informal. Unlike bristol and notts it was well organised and ran on time!!

Hence its my firm choice
S1M
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chud)
Mine was VERY relaxed and extremely informal. Unlike bristol and notts it was well organised and ran on time!!

Hence its my firm choice
was that for general engineering :looks in disgust:
why the hell would you want to do that for?

mine wasnt really an interview... was just random questions on the recent news in maths education... and a bit about me...
im doing morse (i hope) i have more details about my interview in another thread... im sure u can find it by searching if you are interested... but i doubt it would help as each interviewer will do it differently!!!
Jonatan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by totalnatal)
Hi,

Thanks
It depends on the subject. They didnt bother to interview me but just gave me an offer (gonna study physics). I think they will not interview you unless you lack some qualifications. Thus if your GCSEs and A levels satisfy the university requirements they will probably just send you an offer based on your personal statement and predicted grades.
portugal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Jonatan..they didnt interview you cause u'r an international student..they arent gonna make u go to warwick from norway for an interview!(they arent like oxbridge)..

very often students that live in the U.K. are called up for interviews at the various unis, cause it isnt that hard to get there..
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by portugal)
Jonatan..they didnt interview you cause u'r an international student..they arent gonna make u go to warwick from norway for an interview!(they arent like oxbridge)..

very often students that live in the U.K. are called up for interviews at the various unis, cause it isnt that hard to get there..
Ok, Sorry. Dint know that. I guess it depends quite a lot on the subject as well. At least they say in the prospectus they normally do not interview students who meet the qualifications. The Mathematics department has eaven set a standard offer that they give all students they chose to accept regardless off personal statements or referees. Then I guess its not a huge surprise that Law students are more frequently called in for interviews than Maths students.
Lee86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

wouldn't be so sure i applied for physics and didn't have an interview i had a chance to have a 1 to 1 meeting with a member of staff but not an interview in the sense it played a part in the application process
portugal
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes, as u'll note i wrote "very often".. and even then alot of the interviews arent formal ones..bt rather 1 to 1s
Lee86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yes, as u'll note i wrote "very often".. and even then alot of the interviews arent formal ones..bt rather 1 to 1s

wouldn't call 1 of 6, which was the case for me, "very often"........ and you'll note i was simply commenting on my own experience
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Warwick don't interview anyone for Physics (and most sciences) unless you have lower grades at GCSE/A-Level than they like to see. Hey Jonatan, did you go on a day at Warwick specifically designed for Physicists? if so, I might have seen you there!
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hoofbeat)
Warwick don't interview anyone for Physics (and most sciences) unless you have lower grades at GCSE/A-Level than they like to see. Hey Jonatan, did you go on a day at Warwick specifically designed for Physicists? if so, I might have seen you there!
No I didnt. I wanted to, but I had many places to visit and I was only in England for 4 days. I visited Cambridge and Bath (The Bath campus is not half as nice as it appears in the prospectus). Are you going to Warwick ? Maybe Il see you there.
LittleMinx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
No I didnt. I wanted to, but I had many places to visit and I was only in England for 4 days. I visited Cambridge and Bath (The Bath campus is not half as nice as it appears in the prospectus). Are you going to Warwick ? Maybe Il see you there.
I thought that as well. I'm very glad i visited Bath though or i may well have ended up accepting a place there as i liked the sound of the course! I though the campus was pretty dull and dirty. The accomodation i saw (one of the cheapest admitedly, but sitll) but disgusting and tiny.
Lee86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LittleMinx)
I thought that as well. I'm very glad i visited Bath though or i may well have ended up accepting a place there as i liked the sound of the course! I though the campus was pretty dull and dirty. The accomodation i saw (one of the cheapest admitedly, but sitll) but disgusting and tiny.
dito........ i didn't like bristol much after visiting either but their admissions tutor is really cool, V. helpful....... but i liked warwick best .shame i f**ked up my exams
LittleMinx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lee86)
dito........ i didn't like bristol much after visiting either but their admissions tutor is really cool, V. helpful....... but i liked warwick best .shame i f**ked up my exams
I liked warwick best too

How'd you f*** up the exams? What were you offered/hoping for/expecting?

Mod Expression - Language
Lee86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by LittleMinx)
I liked warwick best too

How'd you f*** up the exams? What were you offered/hoping for/expecting?
I had to choise between a very active social life and my accamdemic life I didn't make a disicion and both sufferd accademic most of all.... my offer is AAB .... ( For Physics.... to include maths and physics) i was hoping for about AABB in phsyics,chemistry biology and maths but im gonna get more like .... A-physics, B/C-biology, B/C-chemistry B/C ( more than likly C as i did Very bad in P3 paper) -maths .................. my insurance offer is york BBB

I think i will do A levels again next year and shud come out with 4 A's and try and do a diploma in ecconomics with the OU as well... but still not sure

Mod Expression - Language Quotation
LittleMinx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lee86)
I had to choise between a very active social life and my accamdemic life I didn't make a disicion and both sufferd accademic most of all.... my offer is AAB .... ( For Physics.... to include maths and physics) i was hoping for about AABB in phsyics,chemistry biology and maths but im gonna get more like .... A-physics, B/C-biology, B/C-chemistry B/C ( more than likly C as i did Very bad in P3 paper) -maths .................. my insurance offer is york BBB

I think i will do A levels again next year and shud come out with 4 A's and try and do a diploma in ecconomics with the OU as well... but still not sure

Mod Expression - Language Quotation
Just wait and see what happens. Make sure you have all the phone numbers ready so you can phone warwick as soon as you get your results. If they have places but you miss your grades there's still a chance they'll let you in. Be prepared for the worst case scenario but don't give up on yourself just yet and be ready to grovel!! Tell them what you've said to me and how you've learnt from your mistakes and are willing to knuckle down and do the best you can in your degree. I know people who didn't get their offers but still got into their first choice. Just don't leave it too long (do it LITERALLY as soon as you get your results if you dont get the AAB you need), because for somewhere as competitive as warwick there may well be other people wanting your place. Good luck, i'm sure it'll all work out for the best.
Hoofbeat
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Jonatan - I hold an insurance offer at Warwick (am hoping I don't have to take it up though!).

I'm glad I went to Warwick open day as i thoguht I'd really lvoe it, but i didn't like the campus feeling. However, as it was between Warwick & Imperial for my insurance offer I thought Warwick was the better decision. I liked Imperial more but my rents weren't keen on living in London, both for current security reasons and the cost and I must admit the accomodation put me off, so my rents convinced me to chose Warwick as Insurance (I didn't want to go to Bath, Reading or Surrey).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (685)
90.85%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (69)
9.15%

Watched Threads